Impending Purchase of 9.2C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 11, 2009
S2 9.2C Ft. Walton Beach, FL
Hello all...this is my first post. I am about to purchase (possibly) my first sailboat...a '87 9.2C. I'm desperately trying to find a sales brochure, owner's manual, and parts breakdown and/or user manual for the stock Autohelm autopilot.

Any help on the above? I have looked on this site, and the seemingly popular "web.mac.com" site that Implied Consent's owner runs.

Mar 29, 2008
s2 9.2C NJ
Hi,
We have a 1986 hull number 419. Our sides are balsa cored yours should be also. The bottom is not. Check out the six bulkheads for rot. Every one we looked at had it. All can be fixed if you don't mind getting dirty. There's a rumor that 86 and 87 boats' hulls were of ame 4000 epoxy instead of regular fiberglass. I'd like to think it's true as our hull is in excellent shape and no blisters have been found. We bought in May 2008 and I added a lot to the boat since then. Tell us about yours! I have a manual I can copy if you can't find one online. I found the autohelm 4000 manual online, don't remember the site though.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Autohelm is the name of the autopilot, the maker is Raymarine. See the link below for old manuals.

http://www.raymarine.com/Default.aspx?site=1&section=3&page=657

Be sure to check the engine mounts and for contamination of the bilge water with diesel, indicating a leaky fuel tank. My aluminum fuel and potable water tanks have failed on my 81. Other than that, build quality is good and you just need to watch out for normal things for all boats this old, which is leaking chain plates and the resultant water intrusion into the decks around them and other deck fittings. If the chain plates are leaking check the bulkheads. Be sure your surveyor is a sailor or you are wasting your money. One guy's surveyor refused to sign off on the survey because he couldn't inspect the non-existant keel bolts!

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
By the way, Bret has given permission for us to copy stuff from his site to this one. I just haven't been able to get to it. If you wish to start moving stuff for your particular boat be my guest. However, be warned that for every added picture there is a glitch where a brochure photo from a Cal 25 gets put in. I haven't been able to get resolution from Phil yet.

Jul 11, 2009
Thanks all for your advice and help. I've been researching boats for over a year now, and it looks like I've finally found the boat that "talks to me" to quote a close friend.

BobM and Calypso...I've read many of your posts and hope to continue to learn more from your obvious wealth of knowledge.

Quick question though...the Autohelm on this boat has a belt-drive, however it is missing a "coupling" (owner's words, not mine) where the belt connects to the bracket at the bottom of the cockpit. After going through several Raymarine owner's manuals, I didn't see anything that resembled what the owner claimed to be missing. So...any thoughts?

Mar 29, 2008
s2 9.2C NJ
I think you have a 3000 series unit. Do you have that info? With regards to knowledge, thanks -you learn alot as you go, and asking lots of questions!

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Sorry, but I have no experience with this unit. It is ~20 years old and not supported by Raymarine anymore. Best bet is to use the manual to figure out what you need and post on the main sailboatowners site and watch ebay for it.

Jul 11, 2009
Thanks to all for the great advice, and links. I am now the proud owner of my very first sailboat...she's a 1986 9.2C. We performed a very traditional re-naming ceremony last weekend and the previously named Wind Tamer is now the Nauti Angel! Her hull speed is theoretically 6.6, but according to the GPS, we have routinely had to to 6.8, and with a Mylar/Kevlar 170, we got her to 7.2 on a beam reach yesterday (with 15 knots of wind) I LOVE HER!!!!

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Congratulations! It is a funny thing, but the nature of buying a sailboat in the Northeast meant that I bought Triple Play on the hard and never sailed her until after a few months of refitting. I was and am very happy with her performance though. The first sail was only about an hour. The second sail was three days, mostly without wind, but ending on a high note racing in front of a storm with a steady 15-20 knots for a few hours in to Boston. That was when I knew I had a solid boat under me. Racing along before the wind with the fun meter pinned at 20 degrees of heel.

Love the boat name! Regarding the GPS / hull speed, remember that hull speed is a function of hydrodynamics...the ability of your boat to move through the water...if the water is moving at half a knot with you...your GPS will make it look like you are exceeding hull speed. Sorry for the downer ;-)

Mar 29, 2008
s2 9.2C NJ
Awesome! So it's a 1986? Ours is a 1986, hull number 419 out of 427 made. Do you know your hull number? It is stamped on the glass on the starboard transom. Also in the anchor locker I believe. We just finished two summers of living on it every weekend Fri- Sun. We've done alot to it and even brought back the gloss with wetsanding and buffing. I spent the last two years looking for other owners and reading about how to do things on this boat. Maybe I can answer some of your questions. This is our first sailboat and we really enjoy just staying on it at the dock even if we don't get out. I'd love to hear all your details and see pics if you have any.

May 2, 2008
S2 9.2C 1980 St. Leonard (Chesapeake Bay), MD
Calypso, I will 2nd your desire for details and pictures but I will take that a step further and put that request out to ALL 9.2C owners! The Admiral insists on replacing the 1980 upholstery and I am always interested in seeing upgrades and hearing about time spent onboard, especially any cruising, since I am interested in eventually spending some cruising time on mine.

Dec 12, 2009
Cheoy Lee Wittholtz 53' Portsmouth, RI
Hey, if the sale doesn't go through, I have a 30' S2 in immaculate shape - many upgrades including new engine, new sails, new instruments, fresh hull paint, and more - that I just put up for sale a week ago. It's here in Massachusetts (a bit far from where you are, but sailing it down your way should be a nice maiden voyage for you!). Let me know if you want more details.

Apr 30, 2010
S2 9.2 C Houston
Hello, I to am looking into a '85 9.2 C . Impending purchase also:)

Anyone care to elaborate?:)

BJ

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
I was just hosted aboard Gary's 9.2C (thanks again Gary!). It was interesting to see the 9.2C vs. the 9.2A I own. It is very roomy compared to my boat, but I really have to recommend that you see one in person if you are serious about buying. I would tell you that about any boat. They all look great in photos, but you have to see them in person to really know if you want one.

What the 9.2C has to offer vs. the 9.2A and perhaps most other 30 foot boats is two discrete cabins. If you need privacy aboard this is your boat. It has a large double aft in a private cabin and a large vee berth forward. The center cockpit is comfortable and the high location of it enables you to keep a good lookout if you are in a high traffic area. On the minus side, you are more exposed to the weather and the high location will make a good dodger a must for serious cruising, but again that is true of all boats and a dodge is a custom item for everyone. The high sides of the dog house will also catch wind more so a little more hp is probably a good thing for cruising for bad weather. The sides are pretty vertical, but this allows space for moving about on deck comfortably.

Gary would like to take his boat down the ICW to the islands some day and probably the only things that are limiting on the 9.2C are dry and wet storage. The 9.2C lacks any sizeable lockers making fender storage a challenge. I suppose you could store them in the tub when you aren't using it. Or take a tip from power boaters and rack them on deck somehow. A number of owners have built custom deck lockers next to the cockpit and that is a viable option.

Fuel is probably 20-30 gallons (didn't look at Gary's fuel tank), but the relatively small engine on the 9.2C will only burn about 1-2L per hour. With my 2 cyl 2QM15 (14hp) I have motored for 20 hours at 5.5 knots (my cruising speed with this somewhat underpowered engine) and still had nearly half a tank. Water is 40 gallons in a tank under the vee berth. If you have a survey done have the surveyor look hard at the tanks as both my fuel and water tanks (both aluminum) have leaked on my 1981 and the replacement of both is about $1000 if you do it yourself.

The holding tank is the tightest limit at about 12 gallons. The holding tank is under the aft berth and there really isn't any room to make it larger. The quadrant is right over the tank and the hull tapers up to the stern in that location. Needless to say keeping the holding tank system leak and odor free will be a priority with it right under a berth (it is under the double in the main cabin of the 9.2A formed by the port settee). Using the head freely can fill it in a matter of a few days. It shouldn't be a huge challenge to find pump outs on the ICW, but it will be a bit inconvenient to pump out often. So in a nutshell, you can do some pretty serious cruising aboard, but need to plan to stop about every 3 days to pump out and fuel up. There are some interior lockers for storage, but again, a storage plan would have to be worked out for serious cruising.

A downside to the 9.2C is engine access. It isn't as bad as it seems though. The engine is covered by the nav station and the top slides out to allow access to the top. The only real challenge is accessing the starboard side. Gary recently repowered with a 16 hp Beta and he and his Son were able to manhandle its 200lbs into place relatively easily. They just had to remove the mounts and then lift it over the galley counter to get it down the narrow passageway and into the engine compartment. A bigger engine would definitely make this and working on the engine more of a challenge. He unbolted everything he could from the old engine before removal (including the head) to make it lighter and smaller, which helped a lot.

It should also be noted that there isn't a lot of room for storing sails aboard during a cruise either, but again this is true of any small boat. Personally I like my set up of a 135 on a furler with a drifter in a sock for light air, but that is probably a bit much Genoa for the Chesapeake, where Gary sails, or for San Francisco Bay. It isn't too much for cruising in the islands though.

My ultimate recommendation is to focus on what you need now and what you do 80% of the time. Every boat you choose will involve compromises and those are a very personal choice. The 9.2C is a pretty unique boat.

May 2, 2008
S2 9.2C 1980 St. Leonard (Chesapeake Bay), MD
Wow, Bob described my boat better than I could have! Glad to have had you here and to be able to get you onto the Chesapeake even though we didn't get the sails up. A few additions/corrections - My fuel tank is 18 gallons. I don't know what the Beta will burn but with the Yanmar 2QM15 it was supposed to be about 1/2 gallon per hour. I have never used enough fuel to be able to figure it out. The water tank is 37 gallons and as for odors from the holding tank, I have never smelled any (only a slight odor of the solution used to disinfect/treat) but then I have not yet slept aboard and been subjected to a full night over the tank. Storage is something to consider. There are numerous little spaces to put smaller items but anything large will have to be kept out. For 1 or 2 people it should not be a problem but if you have 2 couples on board overnight or longer then you will need to be creative. I am currently using the v-berth to store life preservers and my gas grill that mounts, when in use, to the stern rail. I have not noticed any 'windage' problems because of the high sides but then again I have not been out in severe conditions. Under "normal" sailing conditions it has not been a problem, or at least I not noticed it. Bob, I'm not certain but I think my jib is a 135 or 140. I also have a spinnaker that I have stored in the hanging locker that I haven't used yet. I'm hoping that this season will be the one to do all of those things (spinnaker, overnighter, etc.). A roller furler is, as far as I am concerned, almost a necessity because of storage and ease of use. And then one of my favorite items (you forgot to mention it, Bob) is the tub!

I am willing to overlook the somewhat 'squatty' look of the 9.2C because of the other features that I like but as Bob said, it is important to look closely at a lot of boats to find what ultimately is the best arrangement for you.

Mar 29, 2008
s2 9.2C NJ
The 9.2c has a 20 gallon holding tank, ours has a 3 cylinder yanmar, 1986. Storage outside is a NO.

Status
Not open for further replies.