Impeller Warning - Globe Impellers

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Hi All,

These two quoted posts were from another forum but I thought it important enough to quote and post here.

Phil Shedd said:
I was removing the sea water impeller from a M25 this morning . I do it each fall after haul out. To my surprise the impeller was cracked on every vane. This impeller was new this spring. The one I took out was a rubber type and was still like new but was old so changed it out . This is a # 815 . I would say there are only 35 hours on this impeller.

I will be taking it back tomorrow. Also going back to rubber type (black)

Sorry the pics are not the best

Phil
bottomscraper said:
I have been using the Globe Blue Run-Dry™ Impellers for years and I have been very happy with them. I usually remove them at the end of the season and they look almost new with a little discoloration. This year every single blade was cracked. I did notice that this year the center appears to be plastic rather than metal like the older ones. Here is a picture of the impeller I removed today after 1 season (about 120 hrs). It has never run dry.

It appears that they have changed materials and that these impellers are now junk. I guess I will be going back to the black ones also. Too bad they had a good product. I was considering using their motor mounts but I think I will look elsewhere.

For years I was questioned, called to the carpet & told it could not happen about my Globe impeller failures. I finally stopped talking about them.

Personally I found the Globe impellers to no longer lasting than the factory impellers, more money and I actually spun the hubs out of three of them. A spun hub is a tough one to trouble shoot the first time because when you open up the pump the impeller looks fine but the hub will actually spin within the impeller. Three pump gaskets later and I finally figured that one out.:doh: Globes response............. none....

Though they did not crack like the ones above I did have one that also cracked a vane by the end of one season. It was a long time ago that I stopped using them so it seems not much has changed with the QC? I now personally stick with factory impellers.

Failures like that could endanger lives if the boat was in peril and really needed the engine..

I think it goes without saying but check your impeller if you replaced it with a Globe brand unit..

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Wow, This is my second season. Last year I changed my impeller because I ran the engine without opening the seacock and fried it. Rookie error. I put about 35-45 hour each season. I wasn't going to change it but was thinking of opening the pump to look at it. I used the black one, rubber. Guess I will be replacing it. Thanks for the heads up.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Re: Impeller Warning

Because Volvo gets such bad press here I am almost ashamed to confess that my factory impellors last 5-6 years.

G

if it ain't broken, don't fix it.

It is the pits to replace a perfectly working impeller with a brand new faulty part. Unfortunately it happens more frequently than you'd wish.

Shell

Sep 26, 2007
Catalina 30 standard JC/NYC

Change brands. i have a m25 and the impellers last about 2 years with charter use.
Remember, most companies have them made by someone else. Maybe that company switched manufactures, maybe Chinese without checking quality. A few years ago, a friend, who will only buy Yanmar parts and oil, who changes them once a year whether needed or not, had several fail because of a defect.

Never usedd a 'run dry" impeller. My thinking is if your impeller run dry, and you keep running the engine, you will have bigger problems than a broken impeller.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 340 Forked River, NJ
Impeller life

I also tried the Globe "run-dry" impeller (blue) in my Yanmar about two years ago. It lasted all of two weeks before two vanes came off and lodged in the heat exchanger. The OEM impellers last for years.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay

Thanks for the heads up...fortunately, I don't think Globe makes one that fits the Honda 20 HP outboard that is the aux. on my boat, so I've been sticking with the OEM part... :)

G

Impeller

The PO had replaced the impeller on our boat some time before we took possession in 2002. I have the original one that the PO left behind plus a new OEM replacement. I've not touched the system since and it is still doing the job. I keep an eye on coolant water flow and at some point will open up the system and replace what we have. Until then...

Terry Cox

Aug 3, 2014
CATALINA, BENETEAU OCEANIS 36, 400 Grosse Ile, Mi and Fajardo, PR
Maine,
My experience with Globe is bad. New impellar failed after 70 hours of engine use, 40 days. Replaced with second Globe, all I had on board. It was distressed after 20 hours. Globe never again. By the way, let me report a problem with Ancor inline fuse holder 30 amp part no 607016. 2 failed, 20 months old, male flange broke opening the cicuit. 1 was on ground of ACR 7610, result dead start battery, second was on auto bilge pump. Called Marinco, spoke to David, he did not care. Watch out for these fuse holders.

Nick

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Herrington South, MD
After having an old main halyard break while i was up the mast and luckily hanging on. I do routine replacements of all safety equipment. While i sail mostly on the Chesapeake Bay and towing is easy, impeller replacement on a routine basis is great preventive maintenance

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
I tried a Globe impeller about 10 years ago. I do remember it was a nice blue color. That's about the only good thing I can say about it.