Ignition key blank

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
You wouldn't think it would be hard to get a key duplicated. I can't find a locksmith that has a blank that will fit the switch in my cockpit console. Any ideas where to look? I'm guessing that the switch is original.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Our local hardware store still cuts keys. Do you guys have Ace or Homer Depot or Lowes?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
All of them. But none say they have the right blank.
Did some research. The Yanmar pn is 124070-91290. They all come with the same cut. Doesn't sound secure. With the pn, I'm finding them for sale. About $25 for a pair shipped.

Oct 30, 2011
klidescope 30t norfolk
My 90' yanmar will start with just about anything stuck in it tool box key ,house key ,screwdriver

Oct 3, 2014
Marlow-Hunter MH37 Lake City, MN
You only need something that will fit in the keyhole. Sunday evening we enjoyed a lovely sunset sail but when the time came to start the engine and motor back, our only key was no where to be found. After moments of elevated heart rate, I grabbed my set of car & miscellaneous keys and started trying those. On the third try I found one key which worked. I believe it was the key to the front screen door at my house but I don't recall for sure. The point is, rather than spend money on the actual Yanmar keys, see if some of your existing keys will work, the get a similar blank for it.

We did find our original key after the engine was started. It had fallen out and slipped through the hole to the area where the emergency tiller is connected.

Oct 3, 2014
Marlow-Hunter MH37 Lake City, MN
After the anxious moment of losing the key a couple of weeks ago, I decided I wanted to have some spares on board. I have a jar of miscellaneous car keys, house keys, padlock keys and so forth. I brought them with us on our sail Saturday so I could find one or two that would work as spares. The first 5 keys I tried all worked.

Last edited:

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Justin, the same is true of the crane keys...cannot be duplicated....that is why we have to sign for them. We have them
cut in Chicago or somewhere. I would not have thought the engine keys would be that difficult to copy though....you are welcome to try mine although it is for a Westerbeke.....Pat