Ignition Key 1986 Cal 28 MK II

Mar 9, 2014
Cal 28 MK II Lake Norman, NC
I have looked at Lowes, Home Depot, called locksmiths and auto parts stores to get a key made. No one I've contacted has the right blank for my Yanmar 2GM20F engine. The one remaining key I have has Yanmar on it. Any ideas on where to have a key made will be appreciated.
Chuck

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Or, you could simply replace the key switch with a more generic one for probably a lot less $$, and then have a gaggle of keys made for it.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Any Yanmar dealer should be able to replace key. I also recall someone saying that you can substitute a needle nose pliers for just about all Yanmar keys. :)

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
On a previous boat the local hardware was able to use a blank from a cabinet lock, but you could stick almost anything in and it would work. I replaced on current boat with a generic Cole-Hersee (?) switch as Stu suggested.

Mar 9, 2014
Cal 28 MK II Lake Norman, NC
Thanks to all for the info.
I found Toad Marine Supply to have the key (all of the same engine model keys are the same) at 13.77 plus about $9 shipping. I'll try my local hardware store for a padlock blank that may work, OR use needle nose pliers in amy emergency.
Many Thanks!