If you want C22 Swing Keel Brackets...let me know!

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

flyhop

The ordering deadline has been pushed to Sept 9 with a two week manufacturing time. $300 for a set. The shop will give us a 10% discount for an order of 5 or more. Let me know soon. flyhop AT comcast.net (spam being what it is, remember to replace the "AT" with "@")

G

Grover

C-22 KEEL HARDWARE

Thanks for the update, but we will be installing the new plates that we fabricated shortly. Did you have a problem with the plates not fitting parallel? When we "dry fitted" ours, the pin was about 1/2" off center from the starboard plate center. The only reason would be that the hull pocket was not parallel at the sides. We are considering using stainless washers to shim out the top of the plate. Thoughts????

C

Chris Eberts

Keel Pivot brackets but for C-26

Is there any chance your supplier would be able to build a set for a C-26(1979)? Thanks

F

flyhop

Shimming brackets? hmmmm.....

I'm not sure, but I would think that shimming the brackets would result in several more places for water to seep into the cabin. And if you've shimmed only the bottom bolts, that would position the top of the bracket at a sharp angle to the keel trunk and may result in it's "digging" into the keel trunk as your keel moves while underway. My last thought would be that shimming would put ALL of the keel's weight/pressure on just the bolts and not on the whole surface of the brackets' platforms. Could you get your machine shop to make a shim that would cover the entire platform? The real answer is that I don't know. Good luck.

G

Grover

C-26 KEEL HARDWARE

Hi-- To make a good set of keel components you will need a good set of prints or a fairly good set of "old" parts. When we started to replace the C-22 keel parts, most of the brackets were rotted away. After several tries we are very close to making the installation. If I were to start over, I would have just done an outline of the basic design to make the plates and dry fitted them to make certain they fit. I now believe the slot through the keel is no parallel, but the bottom is smaller than the top. Due to the extremely poor condition of the original components, I would have checked every step of the process. Even if the current set fits my keel, the time an effort may have been much less! Grover AQUA AVIS

G

Grover

HMMMMMMMM

Distribution of the keel weight will be transferred to the hull through the size of the stainless steel fender washers. We plan to use an epoxy filler to make certain that the new plates have a solid backing, and held in place by attachment to the washers and bolts. The combination of the new hardware and this suspension system should last as long as this boat is in our family (and I hope that is many mor years). I don't know why the keel slot is larger at the top than the bottom unless it was designed that way and the castings were made accordingly. Grover AQUA AVIS II

T

Trey

Good luck, Grover

Seems like you've got a good handle on how to get them installed. Like you, I dry fit mine too, but they were dead on center. Since it's in the water now, I can't tell you if they were canted or not. Again, good luck, and I hope all goes well.

Status
Not open for further replies.