ICOM 802 SSB Antenna Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 16, 2012
Hunter 45 CC Alamitos Bay, Long Beach
We just finished insatlling the ICOM 802 SSB on my Hunter 45 CC. I used the KISS-SSB ground plane, AT-140 antenna tunner, and a 23 ft. whip antenna. My question is, do I need a seperate VHF antenna for the DCS function on the 802? In the ICOM 802 instruction manual is is not clear, however there are 2 antenna ports on the back of the transceiver.

Thanks,

Jeff Jellick
S/V Sooooo Lucky
Alamitos Bay, Long Beach

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
see pg 54 in the manual, the second ant SO259 is for the DSC. Optionally, you can mate the two but I'm not sure if a duplexer is required.

Mar 12, 2008
Jeanneau 49 DS San Pedro, CA
I got this tip from Gorden West:

Take about 25 feet of any coax that you have like RG58 and put a PL259 connector on one end. Just hook the connector to the right antenna port, and run the cable behind the walls, but as close to the deck as you can get it. It'll work fine. I picked up a signal once from San Francisco, which was about 450 miles away.

Feb 16, 2012
Hunter 45 CC Alamitos Bay, Long Beach
Antenna

Karl,
I can do that, but I can also mount a seperate VHF antenna, and run the cable from it to the ICOM 802 SSB. So I guess that I do need the antenna, or just a run of cable so as to use the DSC function, is that correct?

Jeff

Mar 12, 2008
Jeanneau 49 DS San Pedro, CA
That is correct; you do need something. I just bought a premade RG58 cable from West Marine, and ran it behind the wall, just under the deck. But there are antennas out there if you want to go that route. Gary at Dockside Radio can hook you up with one if you like. His prices are reasonable and his customer service is great.

http://www.docksideradio.com/Icom SSB Radios.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.