ice in the bildge

Status
Not open for further replies.

wjs

Oct 20, 2009
S2 9.2A Winthrop Harbor Illinois
I have a 1981 9.2a stored near lake michigan in northern illinois.
At the end of last season I drained the bildge and poured in 3 gallons of antifreez and ran the bildge pump until i could see the pink stuff coming out of the exit in the hull. I placed a tarp over the boat (except for the cockpit area). About 5 weeks later I checked the bildge and found about 1 inch of ice on top of the remaining liquid. I took out the ice and poured in 2 gallons of antifreeze rated 100 below. (blue stuff). After 5 weeks I checked the bildge again and found about 1 inch of ice again. The liquid level of the bildge may have gone up about 1/2 inch during the 5 weeks....difficult to be exact.
Its hard to imagine that enough water is getting into the bildge in a quantity that would dilute the antifreeze to a point where it will freeze at around 0 or 10 above.
I checked all possible openings in the boat and found no trace of incoming water.
Any ideas on what I am missing here?
Has anyone experienced the same problem?

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
i have ice in my bilge at this time here in georgia.....i am not sure about what is going on in your S2 other than it may be condensation from the changeing temps inside your boat ...as i have noticed that going on in mine due the lowering and riseing temps in the day time....i also noticed some ice in the water muffler as well so i removed it and thawed it out and cked for cracks ...none found so far... i did see a drain screw at the base mounting flange so from now on i will include it in things to drain ....

regards
woody

Status
Not open for further replies.