I32 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bruce

We have a 69 Islander 29 we've had little over 5 years. Now looking at an Islander 32, 78 Model we think. Looking for +/- to the boat. Has wheel, avg electronics, 2GM30 Yanmar.....wondering if this is adequate power for the boat...our 29 has a 3GM30. What areas tend to be a problem to look at. This one has good bit of cosmetic damage from Katrina, but then again almost every boat in local marinas around here do. We had a Hunter 23 rudely parked on the deck of ours after the storm, but just scrapes and rubs....she held together just fine. Looking for sailing characteristics, race fair amount. Any thoughts would be appreciated Bruce & Betsy I29 New Day Mobile, Alabama

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Hi, B

1968 It is a heavy boat, don't even think of racing against a "J" boat or the like. My power is a 10 HP volvo, 3:1 reduction gear, three blade 13x15 bronze prop. Couldn't use any more, this one buries the stern and just digs a hole in the bay. She is tight, solid forgiving. I am completely pleased with her.

J

Jim McNeil

Islander 32 is a good boat!

I have a '75 I32, only one season of sailing with her and I love this boat. Speedy enough for me, but I'm a cruiser more than a racer but I believe it has a favorable PHFR rating so that will make you even "faster" in sanctioned racing. I have kept up with P-30's (Pearson) which is widly known as a fast boat, but I was really tweaking and adjusting the sheets the entire time, he was just cruising. The boat, I believe, is a lot of boat for the money. Have you seen the interior? It is huge, well appointed (for it's era!) and well built, like the boat. Hull is overbuilt, lots of ballest and very thick in most places. I hit a ledge with keel, took off about 3 inches of glass, never saw the lead! This is a solid boat. The boat handles well, has a nice motion,points well with a 130 genny, but it does takes longer to tack than my Pearson, due to hull design and rudder I suspect. It is faily stiff and very safe feeling. Bob Perry is the designer, he will provide techical details for $300 - $500 depending on what your looking for. Writes for Sailing magazine, "On Design", every issue. The only critism I have read about, and it is true, is that the lack of bilge will make for a wet cabin sole, which is a pain in the butt. I have the A-4 engine, can't weigh in on your diesal concerns. She's a sweetie in my opinion.

B

Bruce

thanks for the info

thanks for the info. Interior looks pretty good...little TLC and as with any from that era a little updating. Our 29 has been a fun boat, just ready for a little more room and speed, though when racing on a reach in 10+, the 29 easily sails it's rating and just kills bigger ones on time.

Status
Not open for further replies.