I Want to Paint My Hull BLACK - Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 2, 2009
Columbia Yachts C22 Long Beach
I love the sleek, regal look of a black hulled boat. My past vessels have been in good shape and the need to paint has never arisen. However, I recently purchased a Newport 28 two months ago and it needs new hull paint. If I'm going to paint it then might as well be the color I want, right?

I would like to hear experiences from people who actually HAVE EXPERIENCE sailing on and (more importantly) sleeping on dark hulled crafts.

I live in SoCal where the weather is always breezy and very cold at night even in July.

Am I going to turn my boat into an oven with a dark hull?
Is it going to be impossible to make it look clean 24/7?

I've gotten alot of ya-ya from inexperienced opinions.

I would like to know facts, please :)

Thank You!

- Joel

Apr 3, 2008
Nonsuch Ultra 30 Gulfport, FL
Joel,

I can tell yo that a dark hull will definitely raise the inside temperature during the summer (don't ask me how I know).

Feb 4, 2005
Catalina C-30 Mattituck, NY
Joel - Aside from the temperature issues, I know from painting experience that is is going to be difficult to hide any imperfections in the hull. White (or lighter colors) is not only the easiest to keep clean, but it also hides imperfections on prep very well.

Something to consider.

- Rob

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I'd take a look around and see if there are many dark blue hulls, which seem to be popular. If there aren't any, I would guess that color is a problem. I think the further north you go along the east coast, the more you see color on the hulls.

I'd be interested in what you find out ... I like dark blue or even burgandy and could see doing the same kind of project.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
If you lived here (in Florida) or a similar climate, it would be hot - but you don't so it won't...
My experience in a similar climate in RI was that the temperature issue is a myth. As others said, dark colors magnify hull imperfections but from a short distance, the appearance of a dark hull always looks great.

Just don't get too lost at night trying to find the boat in a dark anchorage!!

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Most boats that are built with dark hulls have an extra thick matting layer under the gelcoat to prevent future 'soft wrinkling' of the surface. This soft wrinkling (raised and depressed blemishes) occurs due to the extreme thermal cycling that a dark hull undergoes. The thermal cycling affects the long term cure of styrene resins (styrene used in polyester resins takes an infinite time to 'fully' cure, extra heating/cycling enhances the 'final cure'.

Before painting your hull dark, carefully seek out other Newport 28 (or any other Newport built boat) owners who have painted their hulls dark. Find out the time elapsed after the hull was painted dark and carefully examine the surface condition versus that elapsed time ... and make a decision if you want to see such similar surface distortion or whats known as 'thermal print through' of the under-layers of the laminate showing through on YOUR boat in an equivalent time frame.

Just take a walk through any boat yard and scan what those originally white but now painted dark/black/blue hulls now look like after many years of additional thermal cycling: visible hard spots, large shallow pimples, a show-though of the internal laminate roving layer ... looks like a basket weave pattern when one looks at the surface from a shallow 'incidence' (almost parallel to the surface" angle.

Indeed dark/blue/black hulls are stunning; but, keeping such boats in 'warm' venues usually results sometimes in pretty severe topside surface distortion or 'print through' ... unless there is sufficiently thick matting layer under that OEM gelcoat.
Check out other owners of Newport boats, etc. before you make such a commitment ... as a pimpled / 'printed-through' hull is quite hard to 'unload'/sell.
Most yards will have sterling examples of old fiberglass boats that were painted 'dark' and are now after few/many years in the hot sun are showing stunning 'print through'.

Its NOT a good idea to paint an originally white/light hull 'dark', unless youre absolutely sure that such a boat either by history of the build is stable in HOT surfaces or thermally cycling surfaces .... or your quite sure that the matting layer under that gelcoat is quite 'thick' to prevent such 'print through'.

:)

Nov 18, 2006
Kirie Elite Elite 37 Moss Point MS
My previous Pearson 30 had a DARK green imron painted hull. During raft ups with other boats on trips you could always feel that my interior was way much hotter than the other folks boats, especially in the late afternoon when the sun started getting lower......

Jun 8, 2004
Pearson 26W Marblehead
Black hull

Nobody mentioned chalking: the fading of dark colors. Thats why I recently painted my boat
white. White dosent chalk or fade. My opinion is to avoid future problems paint the boat the
color it originally was

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Joel,
I painted mine forrest green. I haven't noticed that much change in temps from the white to the dark color, when it's hot down here it's just friggin' hot. I did not research this with a thermometer just by being on the boat. I don't have a lot of freeboard either so that may make a difference. And I don't seal the boat up, the beckson ports are always open and I have a cowl forward and gaps at the slide/crib boards. I like ventilation.
The dark colors do show any imperfections so I would suggest painting it like you would a car, using a good primer and sanding it down to find any problem areas. Use a good 2 part paint, I used a 1 part poly and it didn't flow as well as 2 part jobs I've seen. And it's not as durable.
Also, if you are rolling and tipping, that second person on the tipping brush can be the difference between "yeah, it's painted" and "wow! what a paint job"!
Mine has some flaws but I don't regret the change in color at all.
Any new videos?

Jun 16, 2010
In search of my next boat Palm Harbor, FL
I have not done this, but I have read about it, and thats having a vinyl covering put on it, similar to the vinyl wraps they put on cars. You dont have to do pictures or graphics like racing boats, you can do just straight color. I know that its cheaper than a paint job, but the vinyl only lasts 2-5 years. But its easy to change colors then.

Kordie

Aug 7, 2011
Beneteau 393 Cruising Baja
It seems that here in Australia the darker colours are harder to keep looking great over time. I see dark blue hulls that are faded badly.

But our sun is very harsh with UV count that is dangerous. Maybe that is the cause?

Jul 14, 2011
Seaward 25 Alabama
I re gel coated my seaward in a dark blue (was white)and to be honest haven't noticed a difference in inside temps at all ....if its hot outside and the cabin is sealed up ...it's hot inside period .I live in Alabama so we know hot .My reasoning on doing mine in blue was the same as yours ...its plain out sexy! Now ..same with a black car ...she gets dirty easier ,but it's so worth it to me .my vote is go for the black !

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Nobody mentioned chalking: the fading of dark colors. Thats why I recently painted my boat
white. White dosent chalk or fade. My opinion is to avoid future problems paint the boat the
color it originally was

White will chalk as much as dark unless you polish and wax each year, just doesn't show up as much on white.

But then again a shiney hull always looks better....

Attachments

jimg

Jun 5, 2004
catalina 27 dana point
I have had dark painted hulls for 20+ years in SoCal. Heat won't be a big problem in Long Beach. Dark hulls do show absolutely every little scratch and nick, and you will certainly get some. Black is going to be the most difficult color to get just right. But when you do get it all done, it will look so much better that I don't think you will regret it.

Oct 16, 2008
MacGregor/Venture 25 Mesa AZ
Dark hulls do show absolutely every little scratch and nick
I did not use an epoxy paint on my hull when I made it dark green and boy the above statement is SO TRUE, But I still like it :)

Zaphro

Mar 20, 2008
Catalina 34 Mayport
Painted my transom black. It's impossible to keep looking good. Salt water dries white, diluted salt water after cleaning smears white, rain water running down it leaves white streaks, any tiny amount of wax after a polishing leaves white dust.... T.S. Beryl damaged my hull, before I leave the yard the entire transom will be white again.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
And, stay away from starting line! That black bow it the ONLY boat that is clearly identifiable as over early. Have seen dark hulled J Boats with white painted bows for that reason. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.