I want to buy a boat. What should I look for (insert brand of boat)?

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Every year there must be 30 plus queries that ask this question. It is a sensible query to ask current owners what they know. The challenge for a new owner is they are pulled in many directions seek their dream experience. Often with less money than they really need for the purchase.

I just read this post in Practical Sailor.

I think it is a good primer for all those potential new owners who are inspired by the words of
Psalm 107:23 They who go down to the sea in ships, Who do business on great waters,

Using the information shared in the article will arm the potential new owner with a basic that may help find that new mistress while keeping some funds in the wallet for cruising.

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
In the world of Pleasure Crafts...

Boat Size does Matter

Jim...

PS: John = 35 , Jim = 43, Don = 50 foot size

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
The pecking order of issues is interesting altho not unexpected. I would have listed the drive train and the rig & sails as equal in potential expense. With an equal learning or knowledge curve, as well. They are both "propulsion systems."

For many 30+ year old boats, the cost of either "system" will equal or exceed the selling price of the typical used (but unrestored) sailboat. Sellers do not want to talk about those dollars, and many buyers are unaware of their significance.

Of course it's probably been that way since the first coracle was used up, mostly, and then traded to a stranger from another village.... :)