I just don't get this

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
This will no doubt stir emotions.

I took my daughter out when she was smaller than that. But with a larger boat, a better eye on the weather, and most importantly, always with another adult (usually wife but not always) who's sole responsibility was the safety of the children. We occasionally reversed duties, but there was always an adult with a single focus and no other assigned tasks, at least until she got a little older. It was never just the two of us until she started school, and by that time she knew the rules and was use to the water. By the time she was late elementary school she had her powerboat operators license, and in someways better judgment (more caution) than me. Now she's a teacher.

I've never claimed to be captain safety.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Sad to hear..
As Thinwater.. my boys were out with us before they could walk.. They'd both been "drownproofed" before they could walk since we have a pool...A pretty good boat, a keen weather eye and some sense of surroundings kept everything safe. it may have stunted their growth, however.... (both 6' 4 ish )
. P9050938.JPG

Last edited:

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
That is a very sad story.

I was sailing before I could walk and so were all of my kids. Similar to Thinwater, there was always an adult to focus on the kids, and one to focus on the boat. Whether taking young children sailing is an irresponsible act depends on the boat, the skill of the skipper and the conditions.

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
I also was in boats as soon as I could walk . Often times many miles from help. I never wore a lifejacket until I started sailing on Lake Michigan by myself in rough weather . My life ,my decision...
I lost my daughter when she was 15 ..so perhaps .I'm a little more emotionally invested in little kids than most folks

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
My kids were on my boat as infants - one daughter took her first steps across the salon floor. We had them in car seats strapped into the cockpit when sailing, felt very safe.