I have an 1985 Hunter 40 Legend, Aft Built-in Holding Tank Information

Jul 1, 2019
Hunter 40 Rock Hall
Hello community, I have a 1985 Hunter 40 foot Legend with the built-in Aft Holding Tank. I currently have a leak at the waste removal pipe at the top. I am looking for any information or pictures of some one that has had to get access to this tank for repairs. My floor looks like it has been removed in the past. I want to know what items need to be removed to remove the floor board to access the top of the tank.

Thanks for any help.

RFK

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 49 60803 Lake Erie
I don't have any pictures but I repaired mine twice back when I had an 85 "40". It is no fun. As you have noted the holding tanks are built in under the floor. They are just lids glassed on over the boats stringers. If I recall correctly, to get the floor up you need to remove the settee across from the dining area. After it is removed you can see all of the floor screws and remove the floor panels. The problem with repairs is making them flexible but leak proof. They have to be flexible because ever time the hull flexes it breaks any sold repair loose from the stringer. The first time I repaired them I didn't consider this and the lids broke loose again as the boat flexed. I think the second time I used a combination of 5200 , 4000, fiberglass matting then topped with epoxy. However with all that it was initially to thick and the floor panels would lay down properly. In the end I ground out a small hollow in the bottom of the floor panels because I didn't want to make my repair any thinner. My second repair held until I sold the boat 2 years later in 2004. Not sure how it has held up since then.

Jul 1, 2019
Hunter 40 Rock Hall
TKwhalen,

Thank you for the input you have given me some good guidance.

Thanks RFK

Jan 17, 2010
Hunter Legend 40 Edgewater
On our 1989 Legend 40 the holding tank is in the aft cabin which you may want to consider doing.

We replaced the aluminum tank with a plastic tank from Ronco Plastics which has the pattern for the custom tank on file.

Attachments