I have a new to me O'Day daysailer 2-- 17 footer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 28, 2007
Oday 23 Anna Maria Isl.
Can anybody tell me how to drain water that is in the hull under the floor? There are 2 inspection ports in the floor that I used a wet vac on. But is there an easier way? Thanks a bunch.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Is boat on trailer?

If the boat is on the trailer, there should be a drainplug on the transom for the bilge. My boat has it on the centerline and below the lower rudder gudgeon, others have it positioned off-center (I assume to clear the cockpit sump?) If the boat is in the water, then the only way to bail the bilge is through those inspection/bailing ports. I use a sponge to bail out the water, but would suggest a small hand pump if there is a lot of water.
If you are collecting much water in the bilge there must be a leak somewhere. I had a problem with a leak at the gunwale through the hull/deck joint, water could get in when I dunked the lee rail while sailing. A little sealant squeezed into the joint seems to have fixed it. If your boat is a 1971-79 model, the CB pivot bolt might be leaking, try tightening it and or applying a bead of sealant around the rubber washers. If the boat is a 1980 or newer, one of the screws that hold the stainless steel plates that hold the wedges that hold the CB pivot pin in may be leaking (access is from under the boat, one plate w/2 screws on each side of the
CB trunk.) If the water is getting in during a rainstorm, check the inspection ports for leaking. Replacing them with newer ones may be needed (Newer ones have gaskets and coarser thread ie: easier to screw in). Or perhaps water is leaking in under the flanges for those ports. I also had (and easily repaired) cracks in the drain holes between cuddy and cockpit.

Mar 28, 2007
Oday 23 Anna Maria Isl.
Thankyou Sunbird. My boat is on a trailer. 1974 I think

It has 2 drain plugs near transom. One is up and down thru both inner and outer hull floor. It is a few inches in front of stern and has a flapper style metal cover on bottom of hull. I think this is designed to drain while boat is under way? Do not know why it won't drain when trailer is tilted? Maybe only drains cockpit and not water in bildge? The other drain plug is in transom about4 inches up from floor- trailer will not tilt enough to attempt to drain from this hole. I will look for leaks this weekend and continue to use shop vac until all sealed. Thanks again.

Apr 29, 2008
Oday DaySailer wichita ks
no hull drain plug

It seams that some DS's made it out of the factory with out bilge drain plugs and people have had to add them later. This is one thread about that on DaySailer.org

Mar 28, 2007
Oday 23 Anna Maria Isl.
Thankyou aunins

I am fairly certain I have one of the hulls without a direct drain to the bildge. Thanks for your time.

Jun 2, 2004
Drains

That hole that goes through the bottom of the cockpit and the hull is not supposed to be open. That is where the self-bailer is supposed to be, someone must have removed it. I'll attach a photo of the part, it is available from D&R Marine, but costs around $40.00. It will allow the cockpit to drain underway due to suction, but also has a plug to close it off while moored to keep water out. It only drains the cockpit, there should be 2 drainplugs on the transom; one is dead center and about 3" above the bottom of the transom (1" brass tube with a standard expanding plug to seal) and the other is located either at the lowest point on the transom or offcenter by about 9-12". The 1" brass tube is sort-of an extra drain for the cockpit (to supliment the bailer) and the other drain is to drain the bilge. I'll post another picture showwing these.

Jun 2, 2004
Drains

That hole that goes through the bottom of the cockpit and the hull is not supposed to be open. That is where the self-bailer is supposed to be, someone must have removed it. I'll attach a photo of the part, it is available from D&R Marine, but costs around $40.00. It will allow the cockpit to drain underway due to suction, but also has a plug to close it off while moored to keep water out. It only drains the cockpit, there should be 2 drainplugs on the transom; one is dead center and about 3" above the bottom of the transom (1" brass tube with a standard expanding plug to seal) and the other is located either at the lowest point on the transom or offcenter by about 9-12". The 1" brass tube is sort-of an extra drain for the cockpit (to supliment the bailer) and the other drain is to drain the bilge. I'll post another picture showwing these.

Jun 2, 2004
picture

I found a photo that I have of a 1974 DS II showing the drains, for some reason the picture of the bailer in my last post did not post.

Mar 28, 2007
Oday 23 Anna Maria Isl.
Sunbird thankyou for posting those pictures-

my boat looks like that except it does not have the lower bilge drain on transom- everything else is the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.