I got the "I just got a new smartphone blues"!

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I have been meaning to get a new smartphone. The one I have is about 2 years old now, but it overheats if I plug in the charger before starting the car, or if I turn off the car before removing the charger. Otherwise, it is a good phone.

I bought a new phone in '14. It was a Moto G 1st gen.
Then in '16 I replaced it with an LG G3 which is my current.
Now I am back to Moto G5 Plus. Really nice device, but... here is where the blues come in!

I don't like phone controlling what I can and cannot do. I think most of us are that way. But with technology, especially smartphone, we are limited. This is where Rooting comes in. For those who do know what rooting is, I will explain in simple terms. It is the ability to take control of the phone and load/unload system applications. Yes, it is very dangerous and not for the "unskilled". Too many people who try to root end up breaking the workings of the phone. Permanently. All my Androids, and my Apple 3GS (jail broken) have been rooted. But not this Moto G5 Plus.

Oh the humanity of not having control of ones smartphone. I try to do something and Goolge tells me I can't do that. OK, can I then do this? No! But rooted I can. No freaking way will Google let me do anything. If I disable an app I don't want, Google detects it is not there and enables the app. I am so depressed.

I do plan on rooting this phone but I will have to way for my grace period. This, just in case, for the return and repair aspects. Have to keep something of the warranty.

Oh the pain of not being in control. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. I am not a control freak, I just like having the ability to decide if I want something or not. If not, then I don't need it anymore so remove it.

Nov 1, 2017
Hunter 28.5 Galveston
All my friends (being the age we are) always brag about having the newest, most improved iPhone, and I just can't bother with any of it. I have the 5S from around 2013, and it works just fine for me. I also don't think I've ever used a Moto before...my dad had one once and he trashed it within the first week of ownership...

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Who would spend $800 for a phone and then try to mess with it? Why? Can get a door stopper at Home Depot a lot cheaper than that.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
I have a Moto X4. It is one of the approved phones you can use with Google Fi. Since it is strictly Google, then there is absolutely no Bloatware from AT&T or Verizon. It updates with the new security patches immediately and works everywhere from California to Norway with no extra charges for data or texts. Out of the US, a phone call is $0.20/min. If you are near WiFi, it switches and makes the calls via the internet. No extra charge for that. The rates are quite good as well. You just have a limitation on which phone is allowed. You might check out the Google Fi Project. I've been happy for over a year.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
@Benny17441, I don't buy phones from AT&T or TMobile, I get mine from small ma&pa stores. They are unlocked and are not service bound, meaning, I can use any sim chip I want. This phone only cost me $200. It is free and clear.

@Allan12210, my wife and I use Kakao for phone calls when on the internet. She calls and gets calls from Korea free. It does work over regular data and if one has unlimited data then they are good to go.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Who would spend $800 for a phone and then try to mess with it? Why?
Why would you want to spend $800 for a phone and get stuck with it working the way THEY want it to work, including having pre-installed software you don't want ?

I usually buy one that is around 1 year old for $200-250 or so, from some sucker into having the newest thing.
I then customize it so it does exactly what I want.
Every smartphone I have owned, was rooted, carrier unlocked,and world frequency capable if possible.
Not locked into any carrier's plan, because I own the phone outright, I can jump to a carrier with the best current plan, any time.

Not only does my phone do what I want, but I can step off a plane, buy a local sim card for $5, and make calls with a local number.
My next one will likely be dual sim.
I almost bought a dual sim unit in asia for $80 new, a couple years ago.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I reverted back to my old flip phone. The smart phone was just too big and heavy and I need less internet. Flip phone does everything I need to do and it is tiny in comparison.

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
Hunter 356 Mamaroneck, NY
I, too, have rooted all my phones for the same reasons as the OP (and because bloat just p**s me off). But when my G3 fell from a great height I grabbed an LG Q7+ running Android 8 from TMO and 1. It has very little bloat, and 2. I was able to customize it satisfactorily without having to root. Customer friendly. Who would have thunk it?