I asked an AI bot (ChatGPT) what I should do to upgrade my boat. What do you guys think about these recommendations?

Feb 28, 2022
Catalina 22 12482 Champaign-Urbana, IL
I asked:

I have a 1984 Catalina 22 sailboat. I have upgraded the running rigging so that the lines are led aft. I have a new motor. What would you recommend for my next upgrades over the next two years, based on priority and cost?
I got this answer:

As an AI language model, I can provide you with some general recommendations for upgrades on your Catalina 22 sailboat based on priority and cost considerations. Here are a few suggestions:

Sails: Upgrading your sails can greatly improve the performance and handling of your sailboat. Consider investing in new sails or having your existing sails inspected and repaired by a sailmaker. This upgrade can have a significant impact on your sailing experience.

Electronics: Modern electronics can greatly enhance safety and navigation on your sailboat. Consider adding or upgrading your navigation instruments, such as a GPS/chartplotter, depth sounder, and VHF radio. These upgrades can improve your situational awareness and make your sailing trips safer and more enjoyable.

Standing Rigging: The standing rigging on your sailboat, including the mast, shrouds, and stays, can degrade over time and may need replacement. Upgrading your standing rigging can improve the safety and reliability of your sailboat, especially if your boat is more than 30 years old. Consider having a professional rigging inspection and replacing any worn or damaged components.

Interior Comfort: Upgrading the interior comfort of your sailboat can enhance your sailing experience. Consider investing in upgrades such as new cushions, upholstery, curtains, or a marine-grade refrigerator or stove. These upgrades can make your time on the boat more comfortable and enjoyable, especially during longer trips or overnight stays.

Safety Equipment: Ensuring that your sailboat is well-equipped with safety gear is crucial. Consider upgrading or adding essential safety equipment such as life jackets, flares, fire extinguishers, and a first aid kit. Additionally, investing in a reliable bilge pump and installing a carbon monoxide detector can further enhance the safety of your sailboat.

Bottom Paint: If your sailboat spends a significant amount of time in the water, investing in good quality bottom paint can protect your boat from marine growth and improve its performance. Bottom paint can also extend the lifespan of your boat's hull, reducing maintenance costs in the long run.

Cosmetic Upgrades: Cosmetic upgrades can improve the aesthetics and overall appeal of your sailboat. Consider upgrades such as new deck hardware, updated lighting, or fresh paint for the interior or exterior. While these upgrades may not directly impact performance, they can enhance your enjoyment of your sailboat and potentially increase its resale value.

When planning upgrades, it's important to consider your budget, prioritize the upgrades based on your needs and sailing style, and consult with professionals or experienced sailors for advice. Proper maintenance and regular inspections of your sailboat are also important to ensure its safety and longevity.

Feb 28, 2022
Catalina 22 12482 Champaign-Urbana, IL
To me, it feels like these are great "general responses" that don't entirely focus on priorities.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Not a bad answer for the question. If a real person here gave that answer I don’t think we’d disagree. Where ChatGPT seems to trip up more is in precision fact based answers. The little randomization it does to sound natural means sometimes it’s just wrong. For example:

Q: How should I wire the battery to my chartplotter in a Catalina 22?

A: … Select a wire that is the appropriate size for the distance between the battery and chartplotter, and that has the correct voltage rating. It's generally recommended to use marine-grade wire that is rated for at least 10% higher than the maximum expected voltage….

Right idea, but saying “voltage” instead of “amperage” is a pretty critical error.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
You're never going to get priority opinions form a source that doesn't know anything about your boar and has no idea of its condition. I think you're wasting your time taking this approach.

Why don't you first evaluate your boat, using the areas mentioned as a guide line. Then take the results from you evalution and sort hem into a "to do" list.. then you can shuffle those chores into some kind of order that makes sense for you.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Bottom paint can also extend the lifespan of your boat's hull,

We recently had someone posting here who firmly believed in this far fetched rumor.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Wonder what it would say about understanding women?
“Understanding women is a complex and nuanced topic that cannot be fully summed up in a single response. Women, like all individuals, are diverse and have their own unique personalities, experiences, and perspectives. However, some general tips for understanding women better include:

1. Listen actively: Women often appreciate when someone listens to them without interrupting or dismissing their thoughts and feelings.
  2. Avoid making assumptions: Avoid generalizations or assumptions about what women think, feel, or want. Instead, ask questions and listen to their responses.
  3. Be empathetic: Try to put yourself in their shoes and understand their experiences from their perspective.
  4. Recognize the impact of societal expectations: Women are often subjected to societal expectations and pressures that can influence their behavior and decisions.
  5. Respect boundaries: It is important to respect a woman's boundaries and not push her to share more than she is comfortable with.
Remember, there is no one-size-fits-all approach to understanding women. It takes effort, patience, and a willingness to learn and grow as an individual.”

I suspect it wanted to write many pages more, but knew it would be a lost cause in the end anyway. :huh:

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Stupid question posed to a questionable source.

You were actually expectring something more meaningful than platitudes? Heck, with that question, I would have answered identically.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
“Understanding women is a complex and nuanced topic that cannot be fully summed up in a single response. Women, like all individuals, are diverse and have their own unique personalities, experiences, and perspectives. However, some general tips for understanding women better include:

1. Listen actively: Women often appreciate when someone listens to them without interrupting or dismissing their thoughts and feelings.
  2. Avoid making assumptions: Avoid generalizations or assumptions about what women think, feel, or want. Instead, ask questions and listen to their responses.
  3. Be empathetic: Try to put yourself in their shoes and understand their experiences from their perspective.
  4. Recognize the impact of societal expectations: Women are often subjected to societal expectations and pressures that can influence their behavior and decisions.
  5. Respect boundaries: It is important to respect a woman's boundaries and not push her to share more than she is comfortable with.
Remember, there is no one-size-fits-all approach to understanding women. It takes effort, patience, and a willingness to learn and grow as an individual.”

I suspect it wanted to write many pages more, but knew it would be a lost cause in the end anyway. :huh:
Sound like the Bot is a woman?

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Stupid question posed to a questionable source.
Questionable source is a serious understatement.

It doesnt know things.. it just parrots what was included in its sample...

What happens when they teach future AI models, on vaguely convincing, but incorrect info posted online from previous AI models.:beer:;)

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I suspect it wanted to write many pages more, but knew it would be a lost cause in the end anyway.
That GPT4 teply looks like a typical say nothing much at all type of reply. You could easily substitute "man" or "dog" into that and it would apply to many.

Reminds of the story I read 2 days ago about guy with minimal skills as a prison psychologist who was able to make people think he was more skilled and experienced than he was. Sound good, talk in general terms, and fill in the rest with BS if required.

Dec 20, 2020
Prindle 16' Corrotoman River, VA
Where ChatGPT seems to trip up more is in precision fact based answers.
Yes. I asked it for the load rating of a specific product. It gave me a value that was totally wrong. I told it that was wrong and it stated a different number (still wrong) like it was trying to guess the number. Sheeze. Great for writing poems but don't trust the values it quotes.