I-30 fresh water tank issue

Dec 22, 2012
Islander 30 Bahama Keyport
I just replaced the water pump. The boat was on the hard during the winter and apparently I didn't drain all of the water out of the tank but I don't know if that's part of my problem. Turns out that something is blocking some of the water from getting from the tank to the pump since water coming out of the faucets does so in fits and starts. I connected a bucketful of water directly to the pump and it works fine--water flows from the faucets well. There is some sort of gizmo attached to the shutoff valve from the tank before it gets to the pump. I've attached a picture. The gizmo can turn a bit but I don't know what it is or its purpose. If unknown, I'll just remove it and replace it with a direct hose. Any thoughts?

Attachments

Jan 3, 2009
Marine Trader 34 Where Ever I am
Looks like a sensor for water flow. The system is getting air from somewhere according to your symptoms. Water should flow from a full tank via gravity toward the pump. Crack connection until the air is purged and you reach the pump, kind of like bleeding the fuel system. One other thing on your picture. The valve is closed so unless you have opened it when using the pump, no water. Chuck

Dec 22, 2012
Thanks, Chuck. For the record, I did open the valve during the tests! ;-)

I'm curious how the sensor is supposed to work. The only change I made to the system was to replace the pump. The old pump worked but never shut off, so it needed to go. When it was working, the pressure coming out of the faucets was fine. So it seems like I'm chasing a clog somewhere and wondering if the gizmo (sensor? check valve?) is the problem.

Looks like a sensor for water flow. The system is getting air from somewhere according to your symptoms. Water should flow from a full tank via gravity toward the pump. Crack connection until the air is purged and you reach the pump, kind of like bleeding the fuel system. One other thing on your picture. The valve is closed so unless you have opened it when using the pump, no water. Chuck

Jan 3, 2009
Marine Trader 34 Where Ever I am
It could very well be. It looks like an old water flow sensor and probably it no longer works or is connected. Can you remove it and attach the line directly to the shut off valve? Chuck

Dec 22, 2012
I can definitely remove it. That was my plan but just wanted to confirm that it wasn't an integral design element of some sort.

It could very well be. It looks like an old water flow sensor and probably it no longer works or is connected. Can you remove it and attach the line directly to the shut off valve? Chuck

Dec 22, 2012
I can definitely remove it. That was my plan but just wanted to confirm that it wasn't an integral design element of some sort.
For anyone interested--I did remove the check valve and ran a direct line to the pump. Everything works great!

Thanks for the help