Hydraulic Backstay Adjustser Use

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Should I have a way of preloading the backstay so I'm at my minimum sailing tension when the adjuster is fully extended, via the relief valve knob? Currently, can't there's no turnbuckle on the other leg of the split.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Preloading the backstay may cause a problem. I have a turnbuckle on one of the split legs of the backstay but don't preload it. It is there to make it easier to get the clevis pin in the chainplate by adding more length to the split leg. If you extend the adjuster to its maximum length an try to set the rig for the preloaded tension, you'll never get the clevis pin inserted. Even with a turnbuckle extended, you will need some additional length from the adjuster. Don't try to set the adjuster when its fully extended to achieve your preload setting because there are times you'll want to set the headstay tension very loose. (looser than a preloaded backstay) You should set the tension for the loosest headstay tension that you might ever want.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
You should set the tension for the loosest headstay tension that you might ever want.
That's what I was thinking. I don't completely follow your comment, though. If I install a turnbuckle on the other leg, I can do so that when the adjuster and turnbuckle are both loose, I can install the clevis pin. Then with the adjuster fully extended, tighten the turnbuckle to my minimum backstay tension. Then pump the adjuster to tighter more.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Yes, you can install a turnbuckle on the leg opposite the adjuster. That's how mine is set up. It may not allow enough slack to insert the last clevis pin. You will have to reduce the length of the adjuster because the lower legs of the backstay will be longer because of the turnbuckle. The other option would be to shorten the lower leg of the backstay to compensate for the turnbuckle thereby allowing the adjuster to be in the fully extended position while the backstay is at its minimum tension setting.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
It may not allow enough slack to insert the last clevis pin.
I still don't understand this comment.
The other option would be to shorten the lower leg of the backstay to compensate for the turnbuckle thereby allowing the adjuster to be in the fully extended position while the backstay is at its minimum tension setting.
That's what I've been trying to communicate. Perhaps I assumed too much context.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
We have a SailTec adjuster; it replaced an OEM Navtec product that finally needed a second rebuild and I had lost faith in it.
IMO, if you have questions about your SailTec, the company will answer them. Small company with personable folks. Several years ago I called to ask what to do because ours had stopped holding pressure, and they told me not to send it back for a "rebuild" (or spend my money) until I followed their instructions to purge a suspected bit of air. I did so, and it worked without a problem again.

Just for comparison, our masthead rig does not bend much until about 2000#, and so I take it up to 1800 or so on breezy days. Rig is left snug but no pressure on the gauge at the dock.
800 to 1000, for everyday sailing.
Note B: backstay tension, along with other methods to shape sails, is NOT a function of "racing". Whenever you cross the starting line of a race as an official entrant, you are - at that point in time - a "racer".
:)