"Hybrid" Widgeon Dilema

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 30, 2012
Oday Widgeon Port Sheldon, MI
I have found myself in an interesting situation. I recently purchased, at a really good price, through ebay, and older Widgeon. And since, I have just recently found out, not as savy a buyer as I thought I was, but that is water under the bridge.
Upon getting the boat home, I wanted to rig it, to see if there would be any issues. When I dumped the sail bag, I found two mains and 3 jibs. One set was clearly a "Widgeon" set. then the other was a "Pintail" sail (roughly 3-4 feet taller than the Widgeon sail) upon raising the main,the mast/boom are for the Pintail, not the Widgeon sails.
My question is: Is having a mast that much higher on the Widgeon a problem? I realize I could cut he mast (and boom down) to fit Widgeon sails, but this would also mean i would need to buy a new main. The Pintail sail is in pretty good shape.
Please, in your comments reframe from what I should have done prior to buying the boat. I realize this (now) I guess I thought when somebody sells a particular boat that the entire boat is that model.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
3-4' taller than the Widgeon's designed 18'8" mast is a bit high, and the Pintail has 32 more Sqft of sail area. I'd say it is a bit big......but "too Big" is a judgement call! What are the wind conditions in your sailing area? What condition is the Widgeon in structurally? The "best" solution is to reduce the spar lengths to the correct measurement for the Widgeon........then use the set of Widgeon sails that you mention finding. But is that the "right" solution? Without seeing the boat (even pictures) it is difficult to give a strong yes/no answer. Based on experience with my Widgeon, I'd be concerned about what extra strain this over-sized rig is putting on the structure of the boat....... the older Widgeons had a steel or iron re-enforcement in the seat that the mast steps through, mine was mostly rusted out (well ,still strong, but had broken away from the underside of the seat) This resulted in the hull flexing at the mast location. I could actually see the shrouds "pulling" the windward side of the boat in as I sailed and there was some evidence that the hull was twisting slightly as the force of the wind on the mast was counteracted by my weight on the windward side deck. This was with the original rig (and often just the mainsail on a windy day). I later (over the first Winter after I bought the boat) built a stowage box into the boat between the forward flotation tank and the cross seat where the mast steps. This included adding a bulkhead just ahead of the cross seat which ended up stiffening the hull, curing the hull flex caused by the windward shroud's pull.

So, what am I saying..........basically, your boat will be less stable and may be strained by the taller, larger rig if the wind is not light.......but, is that "BAD"? I really can't say for sure! These older O'DAYS are well built and can endure a lot of "abuse". I guess my only suggestion is to research whether you could possibly sell/trade the Pintail rigging for a set of Widgeon spars and sails. Not the easiest idea......and maybe not worth pursuing? In the meantime, I"d say carefully examine the boat, and if sound, try her out! If she feels OK under sail, then use her "as is" carefully.....at least until you get a feel for if restoring her original rig is worth the trouble. Not my call.....but I will say that in original setup, the Widgeon is a GREAT little boat and quite pleasant to sail.

My advice? Restore the rig to original size. But, only you can really decide the "BEST" solution. It may be worth having a local expert check her out? Michigan is too far for me to travel <GRIN!>

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.