Hurth

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
Like many C-310 owners, I have a Hurth ZF 5M transmission.

Question: What transmission fluid should be used?

The manual says Dexron III. However, the manual was written before my boat was built in 2005. Dexron VI, wasn't made at that time. The PO used Dexron VI, as evidenced by the half filled quart bottle in the boat. It is spring and time to change the fluid, so which do I use; Dexron III or the much more expensive Dexron VI?

Let the debate begin.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Stu,

The automotive sites indicate Dexron VI may attack seals on some older transmissions.

I've seen nothing of the sort on any maritime sites. That is the reason I'm asking.

What do you use?

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 #147 Oakville Yacht Squadron
Stu, The automotive sites indicate Dexron VI may attack seals on some older transmissions. I've seen nothing of the sort on any maritime sites. That is the reason I'm asking. What do you use?
I use III; but then again I am dumping a BoatBuck into a rebuild at 625 hrs.
Peter

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Stu,

The automotive sites indicate Dexron VI may attack seals on some older transmissions.

I've seen nothing of the sort on any maritime sites. That is the reason I'm asking.

What do you use?
I still have enough III for another change. I was not aware there is a IV. Thanks for pointing that out. I need to get some more fluid, so I'll check at my auto parts store tomorrow or the next day.

Do you have any links to reputable sources about this seal issue?

KZW

May 17, 2014
I still have enough III for another change. I was not aware there is a IV. Thanks for pointing that out. I need to get some more fluid, so I'll check at my auto parts store tomorrow or the next day.

Do you have any links to reputable sources about this seal issue?
- It is Dexron VI, not IV. As I understand it, IV and V were skipped over.
- I've not bought any, but I understand Dexron VI is rather pricey
- I do not have a reputable source regarding the seals. Only talk on the auto blogs.

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Catalina C310 SF Bay/Delta
I use III; but then again I am dumping a BoatBuck into a rebuild at 625 hrs.
Peter
I have used Dextron III for last three years and tranny seems to run
ok. Change each year.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
ILEAN TOO
San Jose, CA

May 2, 2012
Catalina 310 Toronto, Ontario
peter_ms ..... We are in the same vicinity and are boats are close in age (mine is 2003). Where do you get your Dexron III. Is there another alternative to this or is this only fluid you can use?

Cheers
2 Old Pirates
:D

May 2, 2012
Catalina 310 Toronto, Ontario
Doing some research and I found this Dexron III/Mercon Automatic Transmission Fluid. Is the transmissions in the Catalina 310 classified as Automatic.

Cheers

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 #147 Oakville Yacht Squadron
Doing some research and I found this Dexron III/Mercon Automatic Transmission Fluid. Is the transmissions in the Catalina 310 classified as Automatic. Cheers
That's the stuff
Canadian Tire usually has a pretty good selection of brands
Peter