Hunter window reseal

Dec 26, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Seattle
Need to reseal at least one of the windows on a Hunter 19-2. These are the typical Hunter frameless inset windows.

Questions:

1. What sealant to use? Dow 795?

2. How to hold the window in arced shape while the sealant dries. 795 takes a very long time to fully cure.

Thanks for any advice.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Yes, Dow 795 is a good choice of sealant.

On my Hunter 280, the large front windows had some small screws in the corners (presumably to hold the window in place while the sealant dried). I don’t how arched you windows are though…if they are really curved, I would think that they are formed that way (so you are trying to bend and hold them in place).

I have also seen people use Very High Adhesion tape (or something like that) to actually bond the window in p,ace, then use a sealant to seal the outside gap.

-on edit…VHB tape ;-)

Greg

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Welcome aboard New Member and top of the season to you. You are certainly in the right place to seek assistance in most of your boating issues. Ask away. The forum's search engine is a wonderful and a powerful tool giving you answers to similar questions from other members.
Although not specific to your Hunter, this link will certainly help you out. It will definitely be my starting place when I get around to replacing the 6 fixed port lights that I inadvertently damaged a few years back.

Replacing frameless acrylic fixed ports

calvin

Jul 30, 2019
Hunter 335 Port Orchard
I've done 3 frameless portlights on my hunter 33.5. One using dow 795 and two using 3M VHB tape. The latter was a much better option and has held up better than the dow 795. Details on the process in the video below.

Once you've fixed them via the VHB tape, and filled the outside edge per the video, run a small bead of butel tape on the inside edge. Biggest challenge is getting the window centered before it comes into contact with the VHB tape when you mount it. I built a small jig do to this (some L shaped pieces of wood taped around the opening so that the window was centered as I placed it). Process with the tape was much easier than the 795 and it seems to hold up better as it flexes without breaking the seal.

Thx,
Calvin

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Need to reseal at least one of the windows on a Hunter 19-2. These are the typical Hunter frameless inset windows.
Thanks for any advice.
Recently replaced a large fixed skylight on the deck of my boat. Used 3M VHB double sided adhesive tape to adhere the lens to the deck and back filled with Down 795. Check out You Tube videos produced by Andy @ Boat Works Today for video tutorial.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
The title of the Boat Works video is "How to Install Fixed Portlights".

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Before the VHB tape by 3M, manufactures used Dow Corning 795 which comes in black, white and beige colors. You had to tape on all sides in and out and apply pressure to properly seal. On windows that were curved, Hunter screwed down the windows temporarily making sure the screws were smaller than the screw holes. After drying for a couple days, Hunter removed those screws as the holes in the lens were subject to expansion and contraction from heat and cold. The hoes were filled 795.
In lay man’s terms, 795 is a contractual grade pure silicone with no addititives

Tape mentioned was after my time which more and more are now using it. 3M is an excellent company

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Greg.

Good morning

Others in the manufacture of sailboats use to say that as there were a couple more silicons just as good with the same properties

Jun 30, 2020
Hunter 356 Noank, CT
I resealed all 4 fixed portlites on my Hunter 356 this past summer. I used 1/4" 3M VHB tape to hold the acrylic glass in place from the inside then sealed them from the outside with Dow Corning 795. The fix worked really well and I have not had an issue with any leaks since.