Hunter vs. Catalina 22

schog

Apr 30, 2023
Hunter 22 Beaver Lake
I’m very new, so perhaps I’m mistaken, but these two boats seem very similar. However, I’m not finding as many comparison articles as I would’ve thought. My criteria are these. Easy to trailer and single hand. I am 6’2”, I have heard the Hunter is a little more comfortable for sleeping, would love to weekend with one or two of my kids now and then. I would be mostly on a small to medium size lake, but dream of taking it to the coast for close in coastal cruising. Do either of these jump it out at you as the superior one for these criteria? Thanks in advance.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Both are lake boats, not for ocean. I had 1984 H25.5 I was very happy with its strong construction. I am not familiar with C22, but I would think not comfortable for overnight with kids. Hunter had plenty of room and included potty.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Both are lake boats, not for ocean. I had 1984 H25.5 I was very happy with its strong construction. I am not familiar with C22, but I would think not comfortable for overnight with kids. Hunter had plenty of room and included potty.
I don't know the Hunter but I sailed my Catalina 22 many times over the 25 miles of ocean between Los Angeles and Catalina Island. Never with kids buts lots of fun weekends with other adults.

BTW, it had a "potty" that discharged overboard. Of course that was 45 years ago or so.

Of course the Hunter 25.5 is quite a bit bigger so that's certainly a factor.

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
Either would be fine. If they're for sale in your area, then go for the one that's in the best shape for the right money.

As you're new to the sailboat buying thing, I would encourage you to learn to do a do it yourself boat survey. You can find survey checklists online, and there's plenty of info on what to watch out for. And there is a LOT to look out for. Centerboard issues, centerboard pin wear, sail condition, water in the balsa core deck, rigging problems, and more. Don't skimp on this part of the learning process, as even a small boat can bite you severely in the butt.

Best of luck to you!

• Helpful

schog

Apr 30, 2023
Hunter 22 Beaver Lake
Either would be fine. If they're for sale in your area, then go for the one that's in the best shape for the right money.

As you're new to the sailboat buying thing, I would encourage you to learn to do a do it yourself boat survey. You can find survey checklists online, and there's plenty of info on what to watch out for. And there is a LOT to look out for. Centerboard issues, centerboard pin wear, sail condition, water in the balsa core deck, rigging problems, and more. Don't skimp on this part of the learning process, as even a small boat can bite you severely in the butt.

Best of luck to you!

Best of luck to you!
Great tip, thanks. Was definitely going to try to bribe someone from the sailing club (I’m on the waitlist) tohelp me, but the checklist is great to know about.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
When buying a used boat, consider the actual hull as being a freebie…An ugly hull can be pressure washed and painted for little money… fiberglass is easy to repair, rotten wood easy to replace but

what YOU are buying is the outboard, the trailer, the sails and any electronics. Those get expensive fast ifyou need to start replacing them. And in your situation you also need to put a critical eye on the swing keel.

I have weekended in a C22. What I remember is the quarter berth was a little narrow and I had to put my left hand in my pocket to keep my arm from falling over the side while I slept.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
I don't have personal experience with the relevant Hunter offerings, but I stand by the comments I wrote ~4 years ago about the C-22. We've cruised her for up to 2 weeks with 2 adults and 2 kids. See our first San Juans trip report (and 3 other similar ones later in the thread).

But: 4 is pretty tight - I'm about 6'0", and I fit in the V-berth with my son, but I wouldn't fit on the dinette berth - my 5'4" wife usually sleeps there with our daughter, and even that is getting snug as our daughter grows.

FWIW: The C-22 has a LOT of storage space for her length - if you're willing to crawl in the coffin every now and then.

Re:
... dream of taking it to the coast for close in coastal cruising. ...
We've been really comfortable cruising our C-22 in the Salish Sea (San Juan Islands and surrounding areas). 5-10 NM open-water passages, but not open ocean. As others have said, I'd definitely take her to the Channel Islands, or the Florida Keys. But, even though a few have done it, I wouldn't consider it the right boat to cross the Columbia River Bar or hop down the west coast.

Jan 21, 2009
Catalina 30 Lake Perry, KS
Take into consideration what you using for a tow vehicle versus the weight of the boat. Hunter has a few water ballasted models around 25ft. I did have a Catalina 22 which was well constructed and have both swing and fixed keel models. Swing is easier to trailer and launch. If you go the Catalina route , I would strongly suggest the dinette model. Much more comfortable.

schog

Apr 30, 2023
Hunter 22 Beaver Lake
Take into consideration what you using for a tow vehicle versus the weight of the boat. Hunter has a few water ballasted models around 25ft. I did have a Catalina 22 which was well constructed and have both swing and fixed keel models. Swing is easier to trailer and launch. If you go the Catalina route , I would strongly suggest the dinette model. Much more comfortable.
does that mean the one where the dinette lowers and converts to a. bed?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Use to be a hunter and Catalina dealer and worked with the owners closely particularly the water ballast. Send me a privat message through this forum
Dave Alia’s Crazy Dave