Hunter v. Catalina

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Art Butler

Can anyone give me the pros and cons of buying a '95 42 Mark II over a '92 Hunter Legend 43? I am looking to buy a used boat and don't know which way to turn or focus my search. Also, what prices should i be looking at. My current intent is to sail the Great Lakes but like all sailors I have visions of sailing off to Tahiti....I just have to convince my wife and all others who depend on me that this is a logical thing to do. Thnaks for any input.

M

M Kolbenschlag

Buy the C42

Can't speak directly to the '92 & 95 model years but recently bought a new 99 C42 after extensive comparison including against new Hunters of similar size. I bought the C42 because: head sail size on Hunters is restricted because of rigging geometry; larger Hunters have much more windage; C42s with stock rigs are faster; C42s look like real sailboats with a more classic design; Hunters have nicer interiors but you have to go with centercockpit to have any headroom in aft cabin picking up still more windage; and I believe Catalinas have superior trade in value down the line.

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Well....

Art, you have to keep in mind that most of the folks here are either Catalina owners or non-owning fans. The majority will undoubtedly say the Catalina (me included!). But if you went over to our sister-site, Hunter Owners, I'd lay money that they'd all say to go with the Hunter. For sailing on the Great Lakes, either would be perfectly acceptable. Go for the one you like the most! Or, if you're 6-of-one on the matter, let your Admiral (wife) decide for you. It sounds like she may be a little hesitant, so involve her in the decision. My guess is that she'll chose the Hunter cuz of the interior. If all you'll be doing is pleasure cruises on weekends, go for it! If your plan is to take THIS boat to Tahiti, you'll have to think again. Neither boat (no matter what the respective owners say) was built to cross oceans. Neither are structurally strong enough to withstand major (or even minor in some cases) storms on the ocean. I'm sure many have, but that doesn't mean they should! Have fun with the decision & keep us posted. LaDonna

B

Bob Robeson

C-42 or Hunter 43

We own both a Hunter 34 and a Catalina 36. I find that these are both production boats, and it seems that Hunter leans more towards being an RV on water, while the Catalina seems to sail better. I single hand both boats and have problems going straight down wind with the Hunters B&R rig. The Catalina's do seem to have a resale advantage. But id you buy the hunter right the resale should not be an issue. Look for the way you use the boat, sailing entertaining, many people in the cockpit, heavy winds or light, spinniker or not, and think about the accessories you wish to install. Dodgers, radars, antenias, speakers are simple with the Hunter. I have a Nice Hunter 34 for sale. Good Luck Bob Bob

M

M Kolbenschlag

Understanding LaDonna

As an owner of a C42 and someone who has a fair amount of off-shore sailing experience Pacific, Med, English channel and approaches, I agree generally with LaDonna on the suitability of Catalinas for a voyage to Tahiti--unless of course you re-hab the boat for the trip. I do not agree that the C42 is inherently unsuitable--read that unsafe--in off-shore voyaging because of flimsy construction. The boat will survive the trip. Whether the captain and crew do or not is another matter. That's because the very qualities you want or can live with in coastal cruising become a problem off-shore. One is space. The salon of a C42 is great for the weekend or over on the islands, but offshore it's a problem. Too much room, too few hand-holds. Drawers and shelves that aren't designed for the heavy going. Lazerettes that are not fully enclosed and that let equipment and goods--of which you would have a ton if going off-shore--easily become unguided missles. No lee board on the captain's birth. Then there's the built in capabilities like fuel capacity: 39 gallons won't get you to Tahiti and jerry cans on deck are accidents waiting to happen. 125 gallons of water is not enough either. Also, here and there, throughout the boat, there are items like thru-hulls, various other plumbing and engine items, batteries and the battery compartments themselves which are not the best of the best quality--at least if your life is depending on them 10,000 miles from home. That said, you can deal with most of these problems and prepare a C42 to go to Tahiti. It will take some ingeniousness, thought and experience in modifying a yacht. And some money. But that's how a lot of us get our kicks, modifying our boats for the big one. Truth be told, some of the same items have to be dealt with in a Swan, Hinckley, Cabo Rico or other "off-shore" yacht. Back in the mid-1970s my P-28 (full keel wood boat with 7'6" beam) lost its wood mast in a storm and ended up on a reef off--you guessed it-- Tahiti. A C42 would not have had the same problem. Besides that, modifying a yacht keeps us busy and out of trouble.

T

Tony Williams

By the Catalina

I learned to sail on San Francisco Bay in a sailing club that operated a charter fleet consisting of 90% 30'-40' Hunter boats. For 4 years I sailed Hunters (every other weekend during the peak season) and found them to be great weekend sailing boats. After a long period of looking for a boat of my own I chose to buy a 1999 Catalina 42'. The difference in how they sail is dramatic! The boat was delivered without an autopilot and on my first trip out, I very quickly learned how easy it was to balance the sails; something that was notoriously difficult in the Hunters. I can honestly say that there's a world of difference between sailing the Catalina 42 and similar size Hunters. (Of course, remember that the Hunters would have been heavily used since they were part of a charter fleet! This would not do them any favors...) I also plan to take my Catalina off shore - across the Pacific. There's a couple of web pages belonging to people who have done similar trips, or a are in the process of preparing for them. The comments about the suitability of the Catalina 42 for offshore use are correct - that is, the boat is a coastal cruiser at best. However, the fundamental structure of the boat (from all the reports I've managed to assemble) indicate that the boat is altogether seaworthy. I've sailed my boat in sustained 40kts of wind, with 20-30' waves, and while the trip wasn't exactly comfortable, the boat handled very very well. I would *NEVER* consider putting a 30-40' Hunter in the same situation. However, I've spent about $50,000 on modification to my brand-new Catalina, and I'll have spent another $50,000 to $70,000 by the time the last of the modifications are over. The basic problem is that the Catalina (and to a lesser extent, the Hunter) are affordable and comfortable - and therefore attractive. An affordable off-shore cruising boat is not likely to be comfortable. (Not, that is, if you're used to living in a nice home with all the mod-cons.) It'll be small, dark, and cramped. Anyway, hope you make up your mind one way or the other... The most important thing is *BUY THE BOAT*!!! Tony. Windriver (#678)

Status
Not open for further replies.