Hunter Legend for Sale?

Mar 15, 2024
Hunter 35.5 Legend Marina del Rey
Hi all,
I've been doing my research, consulting with seasoned cruising/racing sailors and poking around friends' boats and I've decided to start the search for a Hunter Legend 35.5. This forum has taught me quite a bit and I know there are Hunter-haters out in the world, but the later model Hunter Legends have captured my eye and heart. Man, I love that step-off transom. Almost bought a '95 but the sea trial and inspection revealed some expensive problems. I am fully aware that used boats from the 90's will require some love and work, and I'm ready for some of that if the price is right (definitely no more than $50k). Not looking to completely replace all the rigging ;), but a good mid-life Yanmar diesel and well-cared-for boat is what I'm after. I'm in Los Angeles so if anyone knows of such a vessel between San Diego and Ventura, CA, please give me a shout. My personal email is ecrbizmail@gmail.com. Fair winds to all you Hunter owners!
- Ed

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Ed. Welcome to the forum and best wishes on your hunt. The Legend 35.5 is a very nice boat. I've never had one, but high marks from those who have. No Hunter haters around these precincts. I've looked at many brands before settling on Hunter. Great value, well designed, nice layout and thoughtful build. Keep us posted.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
No Hunter hating here! I had a 356 and thought it was well designed. One feature of the boat that I had not seen prior to owning mine was that all the underwater thru hulls were in one compartment. That made inspection and maintenance a snap. That was just one thing. I could go on.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
There is such a thing as a buyer's broker. If you know what you want they can help you find one. That can expedite getting you into a boat. I'm sure you could specify West Coast.

Mar 15, 2024
One feature of the boat that I had not seen prior to owning mine was that all the underwater thru hulls were in one compartment. That made inspection and maintenance a snap.
Yeah, I noticed that when flipping through the Owner's Manual online. A lot of "little" things I couldnt find on similar sized, often more expensive boats: the aft pulpit seats, standard windlass, decent sized rear quarter-berth.

Mar 15, 2024
There is such a thing as a buyer's broker.
I know an agent who mainly deals in high-end sailboats and has been giving me advice based on his experience in racing and cruising all sizes and makes of boats... I got the impression that cheaper boats weren't worth his time for the comparatively low commission... I didnt want to offend him by getting my own broker, but maybe I'll look into that!

Mar 15, 2024
The only one on the left cost was posted for sale over 5 years ago.
I found a few nearby (Southern Cal) on other platforms. One '95 HL35.5 in San Diego had serious rigging issues ($15-$20k cost to replace all of it), more than 1/2 the cost of the boat itself. We were close to purchasing it until the inspector said he didnt feel safe shimmying up the main halyard due to the terrible condition of both standing and running rigging. Another in my backyard (Marina del Rey) is an older model (Legend 35) looks like its been beaten to death with a rake, not well cared for, so I'm skipping that one. Hoping for one that needs a *little* love but doesnt look like the owner forgot they owned it for the last 15 years. ;)

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
I'm always amazed/disappointed when looking at boats for sale at the lack of maintenance and upkeep. And the owner's opinion of the condition.

Mar 27, 2018
Hunter Legend 35.5 Island Heights NJ
We have owned 2 Hunter 35.5 Legends. Our first was unfortunately destroyed by Hurricane Sandy. We had it for 7 years. Loved it so much we immediately went out and looked for another one. Currently own a 93 35.5 Legend. After we had the usual stuff replaced as part of the sale (shift and throttle cables, and cutlass bearing) we added a 3 blade prop which eliminated the prop walk which was a slight problem on our previous boat. All in all after 2 35.5s for many years and being on numerous other boats we still love our Legend. Did I also say it's fast? Both boats were also very reliable and over the years cost very little in maintenance and repairs. Interior is very comfortable and well laid out. We often stay on the boat for a week or two at a time. We have actually been asked to sell the boat several times. If you can find a well cared for Legend you will be very happy with it.

Mar 15, 2024
If you can find a well cared for Legend you will be very happy with it.
That seems to be the consensus! Seems Hunter found the sweet spot between a good family-cruising production boat, which they're obviously known for, and a boat that can hold its own in a PHRF race. I know of at least two Hunter Legend racers in So Cal that consistently place in the top spot in their class. It helps to have a nice racing headsail, a folding prop, and maybe a fin keel to get a little better hull speed and lower your rating... did I hear they switched to winged keels in the Legends after '88 or so?

Mar 27, 2018
That seems to be the consensus! Seems Hunter found the sweet spot between a good family-cruising production boat, which they're obviously known for, and a boat that can hold its own in a PHRF race. I know of at least two Hunter Legend racers in So Cal that consistently place in the top spot in their class. It helps to have a nice racing headsail, a folding prop, and maybe a fin keel to get a little better hull speed and lower your rating... did I hear they switched to winged keels in the Legends after '88 or so?

Mar 27, 2018
I don't know about pre 88 but both our Legends have/had winged keels. Interestingly, a Jenneau salesman offered to buy our boat any time for his racing club. Maybe that's where all the Legends have gone.