Hunter installed winch improperly from factory

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Went to service my Lewmar 40 two-speed cockpit winches today on my 2009 H36. Starboard winch - no problemo. Port winch: Large gear wouldn’t come out because the opening in the base was installed next to the coaming. It has to be outboard, as the other opening for the other gearset is too small. AGHHH! So the PO hadn’t properly serviced the port wince since new, because it was impossible.

Luckily the port winch bolts are easily accessible in the port locker. So I pulled out the bolts and got the winch base off (Hunter used silicone - yuck. Just glad it wasn’t 5200), cleaned it all up, filled 4 of 5 holes (not symmetrical in winch base), drilled new holes, chamfered, butyl taped the base and screw entries, and reinstalled. Took all afternoon, but I’ll really appreciate it next year when I Service the winch again

Attachments

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I had the exact same problem on my Hunter 40.5. I unbolted them from the bottom and serviced them. I think the PO had never serviced them either as I had to literally scrape, soak, scrape etc to get the old grease out. I just put them back the way they were for the time being since I wasn't prepared to do the change over yet. However, I need to study the drawings for the correct direction of pull. There is a right way and a wrong way as to whether the pull is oriented with line coming in on the side of the big gear or the small gear. I have fabricated heavy aluminium backing plates for when I make the change, if I make the change.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
I had the exact same problem on mine Hunter 40.5. I unbolted them from the bottom and serviced them. I think the PO had never serviced them either as I had to literally scrape, soak, scrape etc to get the old grease out. I just put them back the way they were for the time being since I wasn't prepared to do the change over yet. However, I need to study the drawings for the correct direction of pull. There is a right way and a wrong way as to whether the pull is oriented with line coming in on the side of the big gear or the small gear. I have fabricated heavy aluminium backing plates for when I make the change, if I make the change.
Interesting note about “correct direction of pull”. Never heard that before. Interested to learn more. What I can say is both my winches were installed with the large gear oriented to the right if looking from aft. That means they had two different pull orientations, with the starboard winch having the jib sheet enter over the large gear, and the port winch having the jib sheet enter over the small gear. They now both have the jib sheet entering over the large gear.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
OK, this has happened on at least three different boats, so this is more than a simple oversight. Maybe a rigger can explain.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
OK, this has happened on at least three different boats, so this is more than a simple oversight. Maybe a rigger can explain.
So you drove me to do some deeper research, and I stand corrected.

The winches were installed technically correctly for the expected load according to the Lewmar installation manual which I found with some difficulty.

However, Lewmar does instruct the install “If practical, and for best performance...”. I deem it danged impractical to unbolt the winch from the deck every year to properly service it. So I’ll monitor wear compared to the other winch which is oriented as recommended, and replace parts as necessary. Which is now much easier and practical.

Every project is a learning experience.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
The winches were installed technically correctly for the expected load according to the Lewmar installation manual which I found with some difficult..
My Stbd winch is currently installed with the direction of the loaded sheet (with a clockwise rotation on the winch) coming over the small gear, which is correct if I recall from the Lewmar manual. With that orientation, the large gear can't be removed without removing the whole winch base since there is not enough clearance to the coaming. If I rotate the winch so the small gear is against the coaming, the loaded sheet on the Stbd side will then feed over the large gear.

The Port winch is currently installed with the direction of the loaded sheet (again with a clockwise rotation on the winch) coming over the large gear. Which is not according to the recommended orientation. Again, with that orientation, I can't remove the large gear without removing the whole winch base since the large gear is facing the coaming.

So right now one is according to the Lewmar manual and the other is not. When I rotate both so that the large gear is on the outside (away from the coaming on both) then I'll still have one according to recommended orientation and the other not. After the rotation, the stbd winch will now feed over the large gear and the port will feed over the small. Still one iaw the manual and the other not.

The problem is the coaming, not the winch per se. The coaming is too close to the winch. No matter how you do it to have the small gear facing the coaming so you can get the gear out without removing the base, one will have the loaded line over the large gear.

I've now convinced myself (thanks self :biggrin:) that I might as well just go ahead and do the rotation so I can easily service both winches and live with one of the winches in a "non-ideal" orientation. This might need to go on the thread about builder faux pas

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
My Stbd winch is currently installed with the direction of the loaded sheet (with a clockwise rotation on the winch) coming over the small gear, which is correct if I recall from the Lewmar manual. With that orientation, the large gear can't be removed without removing the whole winch base since there is not enough clearance to the coaming. If I rotate the winch so the small gear is against the coaming, the loaded sheet on the Stbd side will then feed over the large gear.

The Port winch is currently installed with the direction of the loaded sheet (again with a clockwise rotation on the winch) coming over the large gear. Which is not according to the recommended orientation. Again, with that orientation, I can't remove the large gear without removing the whole winch base since the large gear is facing the coaming.

So right now one is according to the Lewmar manual and the other is not. When I rotate both so that the large gear is on the outside (away from the coaming on both) then I'll still have one according to recommended orientation and the other not. After the rotation, the stbd winch will now feed over the large gear and the port will feed over the small. Still one iaw the manual and the other not.

The problem is the coaming, not the winch per se. The coaming is too close to the winch. No matter how you do it to have the small gear facing the coaming so you can get the gear out without removing the base, one will have the loaded line over the large gear.

I've now convinced myself (thanks self :biggrin:) that I might as well just go ahead and do the rotation so I can easily service both winches and live with one of the winches in a "non-ideal" orientation. This might need to go on the thread about builder faux pas
Exactly my thinking Smokey73.

Apr 3, 2012
Catalina 309 Sydney
Not just a Problem on Hunters, I have the exact same issue with a Catalina 309.
Both winches have the large gear facing the coaming so they can’t be removed

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
Wow. Thanks to tfox for posting this. I’m about four years past due for servicing and now know it will take longer to service the port winch. orientation looks like it’s set so the three rear bolts take most of the shear and peel load. Turning it 180 would put the two bolts in the rear and possibly not as strong?
dan

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Ho
Wow. Thanks to tfox for posting this. I’m about four years past due for servicing and now know it will take longer to service the port winch. orientation looks like it’s set so the three rear bolts take most of the shear and peel load. Turning it 180 would put the two bolts in the rear and possibly not as strong?
dan
How to remove a winch easilly

You were lucky that the winch was bedded with silicone. Usually it’s either 4200 or (worse) 5200.
There is no way on earth to get thin paint scrapers underneath, and you’ll really damage your Fiberglas trying.
So,,, here’s a really neat trick

Remove all the bolts (obviously)
Take a line normally used as the sheet for that winch size.
Tie a large bowline in it, and loop it over the winch.
Now, take the bitter end, and run it to the winch across the cockpit. Ie, if you’re removing a port winch, run the line over to the stbd side.
Put on 4 wraps, and grind slowly. The other winch will at some point pop off the mounting. It helps to have the bowline at the highest point of the drum.
This literally takes 3 minutes, and zero effort.

• Helpful