Hunter 50 Raymarine Stng question

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
I am in the process of replacing my defective SPX30 autopilot with a new ACU400 autopilot. The old fluxgate compass was connected to the SPX30 via a 5 wire connection, while the EV-1 connects via Stng. While installing the new EV-1 heading sensor, I found a Stng "T" connector for the depth finder under the port settee, forward in the compartment almost at the bulkhead for the forward head. The "T" connector has 3 connections, 1 spur cable for the depth sounder, and 2 backbone cables. My question is why would Hunter have wired this with 2 backbone cables? I would think they would have run one backbone cable and put a blanking plug on the other connector. Both backbone cables run aft toward the navigation station where the autopilot and other electronics are located.

Attachments

Sep 30, 2017
Hunter 34 Gunpower Neck - Aberdeen, MD
what is connected to the ends of each of the 2 backbones cables??

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
I haven't traced the wires completely, but they appear to go to a 5 connection Stng block under the autopilot in the electronics bay at the nav station. There are a total of 4 backbone cables attached to 2, 5 connector Stng blocks. I know 1 backbone goes to the helm station, and 1 backbone goes to instruments on the spray hood, both areas are aft of the nav station. The GPS receiver is NEMA 0183 and connects directly to the center connector of 1 of the Stng blocks.

Attachments

Sep 30, 2017
Hunter 34 Gunpower Neck - Aberdeen, MD
your best bet is to trace all cables completely and map it out on a sheet of paper. Raymarine has a good reference doc in their website which explains how it works

one thing that does look odd on that picture is the two terminating blocks on the bottom hub

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@SEMPERAVANTI41 I believe myself an amateur SeatalkNG fixer.

I know there are supposed to be a "Terminus" plug at both ends of the backbone. There is more to your system then you are displaying.

Here is a link with an image of a SeatalkNG Network assembled. You will see that the backbone is not a loop it has 2 terminating plugs. That makes the network a straight line not a loop.

You have more discovery to do on your boat to identify your system layout. I would suggest you do this before buying more stuff. You may find that someone did not make the proper connections.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
@SEMPERAVANTI41 I believe myself an amateur SeatalkNG fixer.

I know there are supposed to be a "Terminus" plug at both ends of the backbone. There is more to your system then you are displaying.

Here is a link with an image of a SeatalkNG Network assembled. You will see that the backbone is not a loop it has 2 terminating plugs. That makes the network a straight line not a loop.

You have more discovery to do on your boat to identify your system layout. I would suggest you do this before buying more stuff. You may find that someone did not make the proper connections.
Ok,
I can help you out with this.
The backbone cable is simply running through the T fitting. You will find the terminators somewhere else on the backbone. There are not 2 backbones in the boat.
From what I saw in your photos, there is a STng to ST1 converter mounted in your system. This is to connect to your legacy devices, such as the Smartcontroller.
I have a LOT of experience with outfitting the 49/50 with a complete STng system.
I think you should PM me, and we can discuss. It will save you some head scratching.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
I am in the process of replacing my defective SPX30 autopilot with a new ACU400 autopilot. The old fluxgate compass was connected to the SPX30 via a 5 wire connection, while the EV-1 connects via Stng. While installing the new EV-1 heading sensor, I found a Stng "T" connector for the depth finder under the port settee, forward in the compartment almost at the bulkhead for the forward head. The "T" connector has 3 connections, 1 spur cable for the depth sounder, and 2 backbone cables. My question is why would Hunter have wired this with 2 backbone cables? I would think they would have run one backbone cable and put a blanking plug on the other connector. Both backbone cables run aft toward the navigation station where the autopilot and other electronics are located.
BTW, unless you’ve already bought the ACU 400, I’d recommend buying the ACU-200 instead.
The drive motor on the Mamba is less than 10amps draw. If you look at the cables exiting the drive, they are only 16 guage. The clutch wires are even smaller.
If you’re interested in more info on this, PM me.