Hunter 420 below deck autopilot install...

May 12, 2022
Hunter 420 Charleston
I'm looking to install a below deck autopilot on my 1999 Hunter 420. It's not obvious to me how or where to mount the actuator either linear or rotary. I did see in another thread some information about something being mounted below the pedestal with a gear.

Does anyone have any pics of their 420 below deck actuator installed? Any other additional info/advise would also be welcomed.

Thanks

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I hate seeing your question post slide down the list where it is less likely to draw eyes.
All I can add is that I have a friend who installs below deck AP's professionally and he complains that on modern sailboats it's a challenge to find a part of the hull is stiff enough to stand up to the force of the actuator.
Search the archives. I think there was a thread regarding this with a reference to a fairly detailed article about an installation. If my memory serves me the author had to build up the hull for that reason and to place it in space.

May 12, 2022
Hunter 420 Charleston
I hate seeing your question post slide down the list where it is less likely to draw eyes.
All I can add is that I have a friend who installs below deck AP's professionally and he complains that on modern sailboats it's a challenge to find a part of the hull is stiff enough to stand up to the force of the actuator.
Search the archives. I think there was a thread regarding this with a reference to a fairly detailed article about an installation. If my memory serves me the author had to build up the hull for that reason and to place it in space.
Thanks for the sympathy.

Yeah, I can imagine having to build an I-beam out of dimensional lumber and plywood, wrapped in glass, from port clear across to starboard to feel like I have enough structural integrity to withstand the forces.

I'm probably not too far away from finding someone who installs AP professionally around here. Seems info is very difficult to come by. But before I do that, I'm going to take your suggestion up and dig though the archives.

Thanks again.

May 12, 2022
Hunter 420 Charleston
On my 410 its a gear drive in the pedestal. Works grea.
Hey Sailgunner,

This is what I read about.

Do you happen to have any pics of it or any other info ie manufacturer, model etc.? Does it interface with your chart plotter?

Thanks for chiming in!

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
Hey Sailgunner,

This is what I read about.

Do you happen to have any pics of it or any other info ie manufacturer, model etc.? Does it interface with your chart plotter?

Thanks for chiming in!
Mine is a Raymarine Type 2 Drive motor. Yes it intergrates with my Raymarine MFD. The Course Computer is mounted below as well as the fluxgate compass. Make sure you buy the remote control. It cost around $500 but well worth it. I could send you pics of each component.
Dennis

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
There was an extensive discussion about it awhile back. There is picture of the Rotary drive in the Owner Mods section of the Hunter 40.5 posted by @Rich Stidger I have installed the rotary drive and it was straight forward. There was also a lengthy discussion of pros and cons of whether a linear or rotary drive provided redundancy in steering. I believe the Passage 42 and the Legend 40.5 have the same factory setup to install a rotary drive. You can check by looking down into the pedestal. about a foot or two below where the shaft from the wheel extends if you see a small "platform" already there with two studs protruding up then you are already set up for a factory rotary drive installation. Take a look at Rich's picture and you can see the drive installed inside the pedestal, the gear drive on the wheel shaft extension, the chain and if you look closely you'll see the two studs with the nuts on them holding the rotary drive to the platform. The platform is factory installed on the 40.5 and I think also on the Passage 42. Here is a link to Rich's mod post.

• Helpful
Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I chose to use a stainless steel main sprocket, drive socket on the drive and stainless steel chain. I have the receipts somewhere for the chain and sprockets. I believe one of the sprockets was stock and the other required some mods that the sprocket manufacturer made for me but it wasn't remarkably expensive. If you like pm me and I'll send you a copy of the order if I can find it.

May 12, 2022
Hunter 420 Charleston
Thank you Jim for taking the time to speak with me on the phone. I appreciate you taking the time to go over my options here, very much appreciated! I don't feel nearly as ignorant as I did as when I first started down this AP path.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
The info for the oem install is in the hunter files folder for the 420

Ok, it’s very clearly a linear drive.
It appears that the drive easily bolts to the bulkhead.
I wouid definitely use bolts (not screws), with large fender washers on the other side.
Or, an aluminum plate would be better.
You can see the rudder reference mounting.
Be sure to observe the RM layout instructions for this, or the pilot won’t track properly.

Your core pack should be the ACU-200

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Just reviewed the linear drive manual, and went through the photus
You’ll need to drill a 13mm hole in your quadrant. You might need a right angle drill for that. You are best off to drill this up in steps
Make sure to drill it very straight.
There is a good photo of the rudder reference installation. You should copy that exactly, and use starboard. You’ll need to make a cardboard template on the quadrant for the starboard part that mounts onto it
For the control, get the P70S