Hunter 410 cutlass bearing

Oct 17, 2021
Hunter 410 Boot Key
anyone know the size of a Hunter 410 cutlass bearing?
So since I ended up ordering from SBO for an extra $30 to get from the same place I was going to order it from if I could have found out the size:

it is 1.25"ID x 1.5" OD x5"

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
So since I ended up ordering from SBO for an extra $30 to get from the same place I was going to order it from if I could have found out the size:

it is 1.25"ID x 1.5" OD x5"
Here is your “pro tip” for the day…these bearings all have unusual names…maybe so we can remember them the next time we need to order…for example, the one that fits my 1” shaft is called the BLOATER. For some reason, I can remember that far easier than 1” ID, 1 3/8” OD and 4” long…

Yours is called the CHOGSET…whatever that is. But if you can pick that name out of a lineup next time, you will know you are getting the right one…and save the $30 premium.;)

7A4646A3-DBC8-4C00-8F6A-B564932F3170.png

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I will be able to remember the measurements!
Ok, but 10 years from now you are going look through the list of cutlas bearings on Defender and you are gonna think… CHOGSET! Still don’t know what it means, but that Tally Ho guy told me that was my bearing :)

Greg

• Ha
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
So since I ended up ordering from SBO for an extra $30
Thank you!

The Key to this free website is actual sizing information plus much more.

So far I have order about $8k for my damaged Sailboat, from SBO Store.

Guess what?
Perfect fits and experts information on my boat!

SBO Store, even coordinated with Edson marine, Foss Foam Rudders and my repair yard through me.

So go order replacements from other sellers.
Good luck with exchanging it, when it does not Fit.

Happy New Year!
Jim...

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Ok, but 10 years from now you are going look through the list of cutlas bearings on Defender and you are gonna think… CHOGSET! Still don’t know what it means, but that Tally Ho guy told me that was my bearing :)

Greg
Mine is Boaty McBoatface
(Look it up)

Oct 17, 2021
Hunter 410 Boot Key
Well it took a hydraulic press for the yard to press out the old cutlass bearing (was less expensive to pay them than to buy/made a tool). It took the same press to install new one and it crushed the end and had to be taken by out and the crushed tip cut off and then pressed back in.

The only reason for the thread was so I could calculate whether if the cutlass bearing was removed would there be enough angle to remove the shaft past the rudder.

There is, just barely. And pressing out a cutlass bearing is a lot less bag of worms than taking the steering arm off the rudder post and dropping the rudder to get the shaft out.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
you do not need anything to remove it only get loose the two Allen screw. By the way if your shaft is 1 1/4 inch your cutlas size will be 38.4 mm wide, mine after 17 years was very easy to slide off

Oct 17, 2021
Hunter 410 Boot Key
well after taking out the 2 set screws mine still took a hydraulic press to push out. If yours just slid out I think you have an issue