hunter 380 stiff steering

Helmut

Aug 12, 2015
hunter 380 port credit yacht club
I have a 2000 model Hunter 380 and find that the steering is very stiff. Any suggestions/advice/remedy?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
My wife lived in Mississauga for years!

Yes, find out what system you have, find the vendor's website and download the maintenance & repair manual.

For Edson: www.edsonmarine.com

Good luck.

Helmut

Aug 12, 2015
hunter 380 port credit yacht club
I don't believe it's an Edson problem rather the 380 rudder and shaft which is not tied to Edson or any other manufacturer.

Dec 29, 2009
Hunter 380 Little Creek, Virginia Beach, VA
Suggest you check the wheel brake mechanism and make sure it is not binding in any way. If you have an autopilot make sure it is not binding or interfering in some way. And, lubricate the steering gears inside the pedestal.

Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
Charlie, how do you go about accessing the inside of the pedestal? We just got our 2000 290 yesterday and the wheel is squeaking like mad and I have to fix it but figured getting inside would be the best place to start. It may be evident when I get there, but I thought I would ask in case you had some advice.
Dan

Dec 29, 2009
Hunter 380 Little Creek, Virginia Beach, VA
I am not familiar with the 290. Your owner's manual should be helpful. On the 380 there is a big box pedestal with a removable shelf and bin. once those are out the steering gear is readily apparten and accessible.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda

If I remember the top has a removable cup hold that when removed and look down inside and lube the gears or some thing inside.
I am pretty sure most 2000 Hunters have rack & pinion steering so disconnect that and see which is stiff rudder or steering.
Nick

Aug 17, 2009
2 26 Midland
Helmut - I recently purchased a 2000 Hunter 380, and it also has stiff steering. I removed the steering link at the rudder arm to see if the issue was in the wheel/autopilot/pedestal or in the rudder bearing, and it's definitely the rudder bearing. Did you resolve/identify what the problem was with the steering on your boat?