Hunter 38 Kitchen Sink Replacement

Oct 19, 2019
Hunter 38 Youngstown
The under Corian mounted galley sink on my Hunter 38 is not properly fastened to the Corian, and is held in places by the twin drains. I can’t figure out how to properly secure the sink, and I’m thinking I would prefer to drop in a top mounted sink. Has anyone done this, and do you have any recommendations for a plug and play sinK? I really don’t want to mess around with cutting the Corian to a different size. I’d prefer a properly sized sink that just drops in.

Oct 29, 2018
Hunter MH37 Mississauga
The under Corian mounted galley sink on my Hunter 38 is not properly fastened to the Corian, and is held in places by the twin drains. I can’t figure out how to properly secure the sink, and I’m thinking I would prefer to drop in a top mounted sink. Has anyone done this, and do you have any recommendations for a plug and play sinK? I really don’t want to mess around with cutting the Corian to a different size. I’d prefer a properly sized sink that just drops in.
I would suggest securing like any other under counter mounted sink using a good quality silicone sealant. Any of the top kitchen silicones at Home Deport will work. It will last for years. Just be sure to apply on the full circumference of the sink.

May 10, 2004
Hunter MH 37 Manitowoc, WI
there should be 4 L- Shaped brackets that screw into the bottom of the counter. I ran a bead of RTV around the flange and tightened the screws and it worked great.

Oct 19, 2019
Hunter 38 Youngstown
Well, I’m back aboard now and still trying to figure out how to secure the sink to the Corian. I don’t believe I can remove the sink without removing the Corian first, as the sink appears to be mounted loosely between the Corian and the plywood that supports the Corian countertop. It will be difficult to put a bead of silicone on the sink flange because it is sandwiched between the Corian and the plywood. I have a single bracket that is held in place with a screw into the plywood that does a really crappy job of holding the sink in place, and does not create a watertight seal all the way around the sink flange. JamesG161 suggested using “correct“ screws to hold the sink in place. James, do you mean screw the sink flange from below to the Corian counter above? What are the “correct” screws to use? Can I drill holes in the sink flange and screw the flange to the Corian that way?
Lemoiney suggested securing like any other under counter mounted sink, using a good quality sealant. Could you be more specific, lemoiney? Use sealant alone, or use sealant and screws, or sealant and brackets, or what?
I’m sure someone from the construction trade, or a do it yourselfer would have no trouble securing the sink and making it water tight, but I need a little bit of step by step help here. Thank you all in advance!

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
James, do you mean screw the sink flange from below to the Corian counter above?
No. Hold down the Corian.

You can use Plumber's putty to seal the sink.
_________
If you can drill a Small pilot hole, then use a bigger diameter , not too long, screw it should work.

Just a few points, like 3 will hold the Corian down.

Jim...

Oct 19, 2019
Hunter 38 Youngstown
Thanks Jim, but I’m not sure I understand. I don’t need to hold the Corian down. I need to hold the undermount sink up against the underside of the Corian.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I’d prefer a properly sized sink that just drops in.
My first post linked you a new drop in sink. [post #2]

but if not a new sink then

Glue or Vertical support is needed.
Jim...

PS: a picture would help

Oct 19, 2019
Hunter 38 Youngstown
Thanks Jim. Now I get what you meant. Once I got back to my boat I realized a new sink won’t really help since it means I’d have to remove the Corian counter to remove the old sink. So it makes more sense to just try to properly secure the original sink.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Just to think outside the box:biggrin:

Screenshot 2023-08-09 at 8.20.40 AM.png

If I knew the sink dimension I could help more.

Jim...