Hunter 37.5 VS 376

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

James Bockholt

I am making plans to move up from my Hunter 34 (love of my life for 6.5 years) and am considering Hunter 37.5 VS 376. Main concern is headroom since I am 6'6" tall. I would like to hear from anyone who looked at both and any significant differences. Is the aft cabin taller in the 376? Fore/aft berth VS athwartships? Sailing performance with deep keel VS shoal?

G

Gail Moorehead

376 fast

I am 5' 10'' ANB BUMP MY HEAD IN THE AFT BERTH.Not wearing a bill hat however helps a lot. I can not compare the two boats but the 376 is fast. You asked so I guess I can brag a little. We took a third place trophy in the Newport to Ensenada Race, Cruising Non Spinaker class. A friend here races his 376 a lot and wins a lot. The locals lowered his PHRF from 141 to 129 last year and to 117 this year to penalize him. The PHRF for the Ensenada race was the manufactures PHRF of 141. I do not enter local races but I seldomn get beat in head to head with boats up to 45 feet. I promise you that the 376 is a fast boat

G

Gail Moorehead

deep draft

Forgot you asked about keel. Shoal draft keels are extremely rare here. I don't believe anyone will argue that the deep keel is not the better performer and we are fortunat here not to worry about depth. I typically anchor in 30 feet or more.

D

Don

31 to a 37.5

I just moved up from an '84 31 (also the love of my life for several years) to a 93 37.5. I was, for a while, having buyers remorse. But, now that I've spent time on the boat, the 37 is much, much faster and responsive under sail. Really a thrill. Also, with the bigger engine you really feel the power (until some huge aft cabin power boat goes flying by.) As for headroom, the aft cabin is low. I'm 5'10 and have to watch my head back there. But headroom in the head, cabin and foward stateroom is excellent. IMHO, the primary difference in the 37.5 v. 376 is in the cockpit (round v. straight) and price. Feel free to ask me any questions. Don dcdon@hotmail.com

A

Andrew Hansom

phrf rating

We have a 380 and there was a 37.5 next to us. The 37.5 is a little narrower in the transom but I dont remember any less headrooom. Sailing wise there didnt seem to be a big advantage either way when we would go to the islands together on weekends. As for the PHRF rating did they penilize Mr.West for his EXTRA BIG mainsail or did all 376s get hit.We dont even bother to go racinig any more. With a rating of 102 compared to your 144. HOW did they figure that one!! same boat 42 seconds a mile faster? must be the stylish arch. Andy Hansom

Sep 24, 1999
Hunter H46LE Sausalito
380 phrf

don't feel bad, Andy. A buddy in my yacht club has a 380 that owes my 410 9 seconds per mile. yes. but take a look at the sail area/displacement ratios. (speaking of styling arches, why is it that they put the arches backwards on those 380s?)

Status
Not open for further replies.