Hunter 340 Mast Dimensions for shipping boat mast down (1999 Hunter 340)

Aug 7, 2021
Hunter 340 Port Superior Marina
Hello, all Hunter 340 owners! I am looking for the dimensions, specifically the length, of the mast on the 1999 Hunter 340. I am aware of the mast height of 56 feet from the waterline. I need the length of the mast when it is unstepped. I see from some of the sail plan diagrams that "I" might be 43 feet, but that seems short as there is about 6.5 feet of headroom in the salon... not 13 feet if the floor of the salon was at the waterline. Really, the floor is below the waterline so if I had to guess, I would say that 43 feet is shorter than the unstepped length.

Regardless, I need to arrange to ship the boat and they need the true dimension. I don't want to travel to the marina where the boat is on the hard and measure. If anyone knows the actual dimension of the length of the mast, please post it.

Much appreciated!

Eric Steege
S/V Endeavor

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum!!

Your estimate is close. If it was my sailboat I would measure the mast or provide the transporter with an estimated mast length for planning and estimating purposes. Alternatively, suggest the boatyard or a hired boat contractor measure it and post pics of the tape measurement. You are correct I is 43 ft SailboatData.com - HUNTER 340 Sailboat.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2004
Catalina 34 Herring Bay Chesapeake, MD
Not sure sailboat data is correct. It shows the "I" measurement as 43', but shows the "P" as 44'. ????????
Somehow I find it hard to believe the mast base is 13' above your water line.

Good luck ,

Steve

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Steve

The manual in one place says mast height is 55’ 9” while in the manual line drawing is water line to top of mast is 55’ 9”.

As a former dealer I believe mast length is 55’ 9”. You could go to the help desk on this site talking with former Hunter employees. However if you can identify the mast any information, I can ask for you. For what is worth shipping by ship is cheaper to lay on deck vs on top of boat as the boat is more expensive to ship as they take the total overall length which would be the mast length on top of any sailboat