Hunter 34 Water Tanks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gary A

I finally got around to filling the aft water tank on my 1983 Hunter 34 today. I never bothered filling it the first year I owned Victoria because it is such a pain to fill. Two questions: 1) Does anyone know the capacity of the two tanks (under the port bunk and aft tank)? 2) Has anyone improved the fill method for the aft tank? The fitting on mine is in the bottom of the port lazerette and is a hassle to reach. Bonus question: I'm still planning to install a shore water supply (another half shower today when the tank ran out). I'm thinking about mounting the inlet fitting on the outside of the cockpit coaming below the port genoa winch. Has anyone else done this? Any other mounting locations? Thanks, Gary

C

Claude L.-Auger

Specs say total of 65 gallons.

I have just removed the port bunk tank to redo the floor, and it looks like it can countain about 30 to 35 gallons, which would make the aft tank about the same size. On my 84, the inlet is under the step leading to the swim ladder. Very easy, but I only fill it for longer trips, as I find the extra weight makes the boat squat. A shore water supply had been installed in the anchor well with a hal inch water line connected with a T fitting to line leading to galley. Simple installation, and out of sight. Never used it however as I have since a friend's boat sink because of a set-up up like that. If a water line breaks, the shore supply will fill the boat quicker than the bilge pump can work it out. BTW, Victoria is a nice boat. I did look at her in March of 2000 when I was on the market for a 34. I bought closer to home, but was impressed with Victoria. Good Luck.

D

David L

Try this

You can move the aft fill fitting and relocate it under the wood that hides the emergency tiller. Fits nicely to the right. Does not interfere with closing the wood panel back. All you need to buy is a longer piece of hose. Run it through the hole where the original fitting was located.

G

Gary A

Great Idea, Great Information

As usual, I have asked a question here and gotten excellent information and a terrific idea. Thanks to both of you. Gary

J

jim oursler

aft water fill

on hull 466 the water fill is under the teak lid behind stern seat..

J

John C

Tanks

35 US gallons for the port tank, 30 US gallons for the aft.

J

jim oursler

65 gallons is pitiful, as is approx 18 g holding

now that we have all answered the original question.. 65 gallons is a drop in the bucket.. has anyone increased both holding tank and freshwater capacity..?? I am on a freshwater lake and seems every week we have to go to empty the holding tank.

P

Peggie Hall/Head Mistress

18 gal holding is a bit small for "no discharge"

inland lake...30 gallons is more appropriate for a boat that size. The trick will be finding space for a larger one that isn't so far away from the head that you'll always leave sewage in the hose to permeate it. However, 65 gallons of fresh water is more than adequate. I'm also on an inland "no discharge" lake...I've never carried more than 50 gallons water, and I've never run out, even on 3 day weekends with guests aboard AND a fresh water flush toilet, AND an icemaker. At home you have an infinite water supply...on a boat, there's a finite amount of water. You have to learn how to conserve it. If you just let water run as you do at home, 200 gallons won't be enough. Learn to turn it off when you're not actually using it. For instance, wet your toothbrush...turn off the water while you brush...turn it back on when you're ready to spit out the toothpaste and rinse your brush and the sink. If you shower aboard, you can't let the water run continuously...get wet, turn it off...lather up...turn it on to rinse off. Washing dishes: fill the sink or a dishpan with hot soapy water...turn the water off. Wash the dishes...turn the water on to rinse the suds off. Use ONLY the water you actually need, and you'll find that you have more than enough. Once you accept the idea that life on a boat requires doing a few things differently than you do on land, it just becomes second nature, and no hardship at all, to conserve water. That's when you'll be on your way to becoming a real sailor instead of just another d'd floating condo owner.

M

Michael Brooks

Total

Port tank on the H34 1983 is 40 gallons the aft tank holds 25. Been there, done that.

J

jim oursler

30 gal holding tank on hunter 34.. how/where

okay peggy.. I agree that 18 gallon is about useless for inland lake. . Anyone got an idea where to add a tank?

P

Peggie Hall/Head Mistress

Unless you have two heads and

want to put each one on its own tank, the last thing you want is two tanks in tandem. What you need to do is find another location that will accomodate a larger tank. And I'll be glad to help you figure out where that might be.

P

PJ

Heard of a great location

by bringing it in thru the anchor locker. That way none of the fittings or hose are in the cockpit/deck area and in the way. No hose running along the deck or dock. have your step down pressure reducer at the dock spigot with your hose running to your boat, in the anchor locker area on the port side, have the fitting to accept the hose and within the boat is the pvc tubing that will take it to your y valve at the juncture of the 2 tanks/pump. Install a pair of antireverse flow valves so the shore wter will not pump into the tanks thru the pump, and the 12 volt pump will not pump out thru the shore water connections should you not be connected. Even with a low pressure connection at the spigot, always disconnect the shore water when not on the boat. Should a internal connection spring a leak your bilge pump will not keep up with the inflow. I intend to install a similar shore water connection this spring as I am tired of filling tanks and hearing the pump. Good luck. Let me know how it works. PJ

Status
Not open for further replies.