Hunter 34 Thru-hull sizing

Mar 14, 2021
Hunter Hunter 34 Lake Champlain
Hi

I need to replace all Thru-hull bellow water line on my H34 1983. I pretty sure they are original since they are bronze gate valve.

In the owner manual the engine and head water pick up are 3/4", should I order 3/4" Thru-hull, 3/4" ball valve and 3/4" hose barb ?

I also see the vanity sink drain 1 1/4" but I don't see the galley sink hose and Thru-hull size in the plumbing diagram ?

I do not want to start a big debate on which is better but I am planning on replacing the bronze by marine composite (glass filled nylon) Thru-hull and ball valve from Trudesign. Any experience and/or recommandation on installation, backing plate, marine sealant exemple 3M 4200 for the Thru-hull and Sikaflex for Thru-hull to ball valve, etc.

Thank you

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Presuming the refit is out of the water and it is likely someone along it’s almost 40 year life had to replace the (or some of the) gate valves currently there, you might be better served measuring them once removed rather than assuming the as-built drawing reflects what is now there.

Mar 14, 2021
Hunter Hunter 34 Lake Champlain
Thanks Don, good advice my only worry is not getting the parts in time to start my journey. My boat is somewhere else and am I picking it up and hopefully start sailing it back to my location after a quick 5 days minimal semi-refit. According to my body and surveyor the sailboat is good to go as is but from experience it's never exactly the case :)

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
The galley sink thru hull is 2" on my boat, same as the holding tank overboard pump fitting..
Since the boat is in fresh water, the corrosion on thru hulls and valves is much less of an issue than salt water boats.
EDIT!>> I really had a brain fart on that one... It is 1 1/2" , same as the overboard holding tank fitting.. Sorry..

Last edited: