Hunter 34 or Catalina 34

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Floyd

Looking at moving from a Hunter 310 to either a Hunter 340 or Catalina 34. The 310 is just a little snug and seems to have a lot of free board that makes it a tender boat in 15 to 20 knot winds. When I see our 310 in the slip next to a Catalina 30 in 25 to 30 knot winds the Catalina is sitting flat and the 310 ia over about 15 degrees. Question to all, will the 340 be less tender than the 310 and hopefull equal to the Catalina? Thanks for any input.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Humm.

Floyd: Check out the specs on the Cat's and the Hunter's for S/A, Displacement, mast height, etc and you will probably see why the Catalina is stiffer. I think that they TEND to have smaller dimensions and they are heavier. I think if you just reef then things will be fairly close. When you need the larger sail plan for lite air you can smoke'm. They also cost quite a bit more as I remember. Now, I gotta tell you that a friend has a C'34 ('88) and it is really a sweet sailing boat. They have their own set of things that those owners do not like either so buyer be aware. Next opinion please.

B

Barry Olsen

Consider This

The Catalina 34 is actually an older design with a few updates. Compare the Cat 34 to the Cat 32 (a newer design with the same beam) I think the C32 will out perform the C34 - it's design has about the same waterline as the bigger boat. Now compare the price of an old h34 and and old C34 of the same vintage (pre 88) You'll see the C34 is worth more which is an indication it's a better investment. Personally I wouldn't buy either but this may give you something to think about. Barry.

W

Wynn Ferrel

340 needs to be reefed

I can't speak for the 310 or the Catalina 34's, but I can speak for the 340 having owned one for two seasons. The 340 has a 56 mast and a large main. In light air, that's a plus. In winds above 14-15 mph I prefer to reef. I go to the second reef above 22 mph. The boat sails much more level, is less work and feels safe. There are much more experienced 340 owners on this site than I. Perhaps Wayne Estabrooks or Jim Russell could offer some additional comments. Wynn Ferrel S/V Tranquility

A

Alex

they ARE quite different boats..

..the Hunters and Catalinas (of today)in many terms , including ones that effect heeling angle.. I would think that the 340, an updated 336 , which is frankly a boat that gets heeled early ( and needed reefing early), it is fair to assume that being of same'style' family like the 310 , the 340 has similar sailing characteristic...

R

R. Palaia

Sailed both

I've sailed a H340 and a C34. No question, the Catalina is much more stable.

R

Ron Johnson

Stability or Speed

The 340 is a easy boat to sail and will get you there more quickly than most cruising craft. Just be ready to reef when needed. The Catalina 34 is much heavier and with deep keel is capable of a nice ride. The shoal draft keel will give you plenty of heel and side slip.

Status
Not open for further replies.