Hunter 34 chain plate inspection

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
I have a 1983 hunter 34 and Became a little concerned After reading other post about the potential chain plate issues with hunters from production years 1983 - early 1990’s. That had chain plate rods that were threaded into a steel angle iron with a bolt that is welded onto the bottom of the plate “ referred to in the brochure as the chain plate anchor “ Unfortunately for some reason hunter used steel as the chain plate anchor and created a potential dangerous condition. using steel instead of stainless steel as the chain plate anchor material is not a great choice. As everyone knows steel is not a friendly material to use in a marine environment not to mention that they also used two dissimilar metals which also has potential issues from electrolysis. The thread basically explained that the chain plate anchor corrosion became so severe that the rods pulled thru the deck and in some cases resulted in a complete mast failure.

I was always under the impression that the chain plates anchor were made of stainless steel, however they are not! Now to make this even more concerning, is that there is no way to inspect the steel chain plate anchors because they are behind and part of the cabin liner grid system. This is a horrible design issue because if you inspect your standing rigging and all appears to be in good condition, the chain plate anchors could potentially be a corroded time bomb just one puff of wind away from a disaster with the potential of serious injury.

I strongly recommend that everyone inspect their chain plate anchors before going back out on the water. I installed 4 inch inspection port on my cabin liner just aft of the chain plate anchor rod. For me I found this to be my best option. However if you own a endoscope camera that may be a less aggressive option.

After cutting in the inspection plate, my chain plate anchors were to my surprise in really good condition. Very little rust for being 39 years old. I’m planning to clean them and coating them when the weather is better in the spring.

Again I strongly recommend that anyone that have hunters with this design do this mod to inspect the chain plates. I believe the models that have this type of chain plate anchors are
Hunter 31, 34, 37, 40, and all of the legends, I believe 1983 thru the early 1990 models.
I would like to know from anyone that has this corrosion issue of the anchor plates if they had any leaks from where the deck fittings connect to the rods.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2014
Hunter 34 Seattle
I felt the same unease reading what some others have found. I have an endoscope so planning an inspection soon.

Artey1

Jul 18, 2019
Hunter 34 Oklahoma
Its great insurance for sure, and so easy now to open mine up and visually inspect, pop a camera in if needed as its still tight and give myself peace of mind. So fast now that its easy to do upon recommissioning each spring.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Artey,

glad to hear that your chain plate anchors are good. :clap:
Im thinking that the one’s that are bad had underlying issues such as deck leaks.
Still easy quick modification to do for peace of mind.:biggrin:

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Definitely inspect via a cut out inspection port. The area Hunter provides is a poor design (pic below).
you will need this to insert any type of camera and also get a better visual view of the rod attachment. As the recipient of a lost rig due to chain plate failure while underway, I can’t stress this enough on our older rigs and do not expect insurance to cover this type of loss. Most policies have exclusions for rust, corrosion, wear/tear and fatigue.
pic below is of inspection port and resultant cutout to remove angle plate

Attachments

Jul 1, 2014
Hunter 34 Seattle
Happy to report mine look OK. Some surface rust but appears solid. No significant corrosion at the weld around the nut.

IMG_5001 2.JPG IMG_4999.JPG