Hunter 336

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTR

Oct 6, 2012
Hunter 310 Georgian Bay
Hello All,

I am shopping for a Hunter 336. It will be our first boat. We are novice sailors.

My question is: The port and starboard windows. I know a couple of them are hatches. Can the larger tinted windows be swapped out for hatch style windows that can be opened for better side ventalation?

Thx

JTR

May 24, 2004
Hunter 33.5 Portsmouth, RI
We have a 1990 H-33.5 which is similar to your 336, but I think the 336 is newer. We have had ours for 14 seasons and will sail it this year (15th season). Ours, and I think the 336) has two "Gull Wing" opening hatches in the overhead. One on the Port side and one on the Starboard side. You can open one or both and get good cross ventilation with them. There is also an opening larger hatch in the aft part of the Vee Berth. The Galley has an opening hatch, as does the Aft cabin. Along with the companionway there is a lot of good ventilation. We have added a Nicro Day/Night Solar/Battery vent set to exhaust and it is in the center of the Vee Berth hatch. It will run day and night every day. Te Solar panel on it's top charges the 1.2V battery inside it. I did cut a roughly 2 inch high by 12-14 inch wide slot in the top "pin board" in the companionway to draw fresh air in as the Solar Vent pushes air out. I put in a "Venturi Vent Screen in the slot in the top "Pin Board"..

May 28, 2009
Hunter 376 Pensacola, FL
Hello All,

I am shopping for a Hunter 336. It will be our first boat. We are novice sailors.

My question is: The port and starboard windows. I know a couple of them are hatches. Can the larger tinted windows be swapped out for hatch style windows that can be opened for better side ventalation?

Thx

JTR
Most 336's have three opening hatches in the main cabin (one large and two small) and one large opening hatch in the forward cabin. There are also three opening ports - one in the head, one in the aft cabin, and an additional one above the rear berth that opens into the cockpit. Some 336's (early ones, I think) also had an additional pair of small opening ports in the galley and head, but in later models these were replaced with fixed ports. I think if you want to increase ventilation, the best way to do it is to inset opening ports into the large fixed ports, which I think are what you are referring to when you mentioned large tinted windows. (Boats have fixed and opening ports, not windows!) This would involve cutting an appropriate sized hole in the center of each port and installing the smaller opening port in the hole. You could also try popping out the small fixed ports above the galley and head and fitting appropriately sized opening ports. There are several models for sale here in the store that may work.

Status
Not open for further replies.