Hunter 33.5 a bit tender

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vinny Johar

I'm looking very seriously into purchasing a 1990 Hunter 33.5 as my transition from racing J/24's and J/30's into cruising. Some of the reviews I've read here, however, indicate that the Hunter 33.5 may be a bit tender as wind increases above 15 knots. The Displacement-Length Ratio (as I calculate it) is on the low end of Medium Displacement. I don't want a boat that's so stable it doesn't move in light breeze, but at the same time, since I will be single handing a lot, I would like to know I can eat a puff and not be on my ear. I've only sailed on one twice, but never with enough wind to know how it performs in the 20 knot range. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

M

Merrill Mant

33.5 Tender??

Our 92 33.5 is a supurb boat. We sail on Lake Champlain NY which is notorious for light winds as well as gusty blows between the mountains. It is true that we reef the main earlier than most other boats but this is more a function of the tall rig not a tender boat. We have a 150% genoa on our furler and find that once we start to furl it we loose performance substantially. (looking into a new 110% genoa)Above 25 knots of wind we usually use just the genoa and get 7.5+ knots of speed.... balance is more than acceptable. I regularly singlehand sail the boat with no difficulty at all. A lot of sailboat for your money and we do not regret our purchase in any way.

D

David

33.5 Tender

Vinny, I own a '88 h33.5 and sail on Lake Pontchatrain in the New Orleans area. We usually sail in 10-18 knot winds. I usually start reefing the main at appx 18 knots. With 2 reef points on the main and the 110 roller furling jib, I can usually keep the boat trimmed and balanced pretty good. I can single hand the boat easily. The early models of the 33.5 were equipped with a 18 hp Yanmar and were under powered. I believe the '90 models have a 27 hp that should be ideal. Be sure to check the mast compression post encased in teak. The post is made of 2x4 wood. Mine rotted severely and required replacement last year. The wiring race beneath the mast became unsealed and allowed water to seep through the deck fitting onto the compression post resulting in deterioration of the post. Overall I think it is a lot of boat for the cost. I would buy another one if I had to do it again. Good Luck. David

G

Gary Wyngarden

Hunter 335 Stability

Hey Vinny, I own a 1992 335 which I sail on Puget Sound in Seattle and points North. I sail principally with a 150 genoa. As previously commented, above 17 or 18 knots, she needs a reef in the main and a second if it get much above 20. I've found the 335 to be an excellent boat. We have retractable lazy jacks which really help with singlehanding. Good luck! Gary Wyngarden

S

Stephen Ostrander

I agree . . .

with the previous posts. If you look at the mast height you will see that this is a very tall rig for her length, which makes her perform well, especially in light air. A lot of people race these boats sucessfully up here in the Great Lakes. You just have to get your reefing system working well so you can reef early and often. These boats reprersent an exceptional value and have tons of room below for their size. BTW, mine is a 1988 model with the 18hp Yanmar, and the only time its underpowered is motoring dead into a wind and chop. Otherwise, she cruises at hull speed, no problem.

R

Rob Rosenthal

She's not so tender

Escape III is a '93 33.5. She does take nicely to light air with full up sails; but, when the winds kick on the Chesapeake at 20 + kts we usually get white caps and a bumpy ride. Reefing is very easy. Heck, just rolling up the 135 on the furler until the slot opens up is usually good enough through 22 kts. After that, I usually leave the jib rolled in and reef down. Once I was out in 26 kts and thought it best to take the second reef. I haven't been out in sustained winds much above 26kts. I do have an autopilot and that helps enourmously on solo sailing delights. /Rob

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Another Information Resource

Hopefully the previous posts give you the information you're looking for. If you're new to the site, another good area to look in is "The Boats", "Owner Reviews". Our boat is a Hunter 35, about 7/8ths fractional rig, and the same comments apply. In light winds the full main really helps to keep the boat moving and when it pipes up the first reef makes it a defacto mast-head rig. We sail a lot in lighter winds because fo the large main. In light winds I think an asymetrical would be a good addition to the sail inventory as most boats came standard with something around 110 to 130 jib. It's good to reef anyway so the main doesn't get blown out as easily.

D

dgrosz

Dutchman for single handed sailing

I've got a '92 33.5 with 150 geno. I've sailed her in 30+ kts wind without much trouble off Cape Cod. Reefing the main at 20 kts recommended but she can handle 25 with full on (with quite a bit of leeway). In gusty conditions luffing the main a little will work well. Careful attention to trim will make big difference and speed will benefit from reducing sail in brisk conditiond. I sail with non-sailor wife & little kids and I've found that a combo of auto pilot and dutchman makes single handing a breeze Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.