hunter 33 1981 a good boat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 14, 2011
tanzer tanzer 28 bathurst nb
looking at a hunter 33 cherubinni 1981, the price is good, it does need a little work but it would just keep me busy and out of trouble for the winter since i am retired and dont have much to do. i could sail my sdan juan until the hunter is ready to sail, even if it is already in the water and is advertise as a sail away boat. would use iit as a coatal sailer for up to a week at the time. then in 12 year migth become a blue water boat, if i did not find a bigger better by then. we are a family of 4 and could use more space then the san juan can provide. but i am in no rush as i have the san juan and a snark that are paid in full and dont owe me anything and are both in top shape. should i go for the hunter?

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
There seems to be a lot of them out there. I'd say it depends on condition, condition, and on condition. I never bought a boat that didn't need work. In my mind that's part of the whole experience. That may be why I've never lost money on a boat.
Ken

TFrere

Oct 1, 2008
Morgan 382 Mandeville, LA
A friend in the boat business told me recently that the old 33s were the best boats Hunter ever made. I had a 1978 Hunter 27 which was a great boat.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 376 Oyster Bay, LI, NY
A Great Boat!!! I owned one from 1989 to 2005 and loved every aspect of it - other than it eventually got a little "cramped" for my 6'-3" height.

And it's built like the proverbial Brick Outhouse!

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
Hunter Cheribini

The Hunter Cheribini's have a very good reputation. I helped a friend bring his new to him 33 across the gulf a couple years ago, from Tampa Bay to Gulfport. Very good sailing and stable boat. IMHO you can't do much better in an older 33.

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
If you haven't discovered it yet, here is the url to Sailboatowners.com's Hunter 33 77-83 site. Lots of owners have added their reviews.

http://hunter.sailboatowners.com/in...&Itemid=248&task=3&kb=1&model=28&brand=Hunter

The model you are considering is part of series of sailboats known as the Cherubini Hunters. Generally they are well appreciated by their owners (including me). Sailboat owners.com also has a sub forum dedicated to to the Cherubini Hunters.

r.oril

Oct 29, 2008
MacGregor 26D and Catalina 30 26 - 30 Lancaster, CA
I found one on the internet to look at. Nice! That one was setup for single-hand sailing also. I can only dream!

Sep 29, 2008
Hunter 33 Toronto
I have a Hunter 33, 1981 vintage. I purchased it from a sailor in Rochester, so it is a fresh water boat. I renovated the upholstry - completely new foam and covers, had my sailmaker in Toronto inspect the North sails, and added refrigeration and a few other electronic "goodies". The boat came with Jib furling. There is always something to do on a boat, whether it is touching up the brightwork, rebuffing and waxing the topsides, but I am absolutely delighted with the boat. Rigged properly, it is fast. My boat rating is 183. It will heel at 15' in a 15-18 knot wind, sail at nearly hull speed, about 6-7 knots, and feel as safe as a church pew. Buy it after having it surveyed, and make it your own, You wont be sorry.

Jan 14, 2011
tanzer tanzer 28 bathurst nb
thank all! r.oril! life is short,live your dream, where there is a will there a way!

Status
Not open for further replies.