Hunter 326 Compression post finish

Jun 6, 2020
Hunter 326 Hasting, Westernport Bay
The mast compression post on my 2003 H326 is a roughly finished stainless pipe - a long way from polished and a bit of an eyesore, right in the middle of the saloon. Is this typical for Hunters? Ideally, I would get stuck into it with a pipe belt sander but they are a bit too expensive for a one-off job and not available for rental where I am. I have considered a wooden "chimney" made with thin wood panels. I have also seen compression posts with rope coiled around them but hmmm...
Any ideas?

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Is this typical for Hunters?
Sorry, but not for a 1999 as shown for mine below :

1681875562113.jpeg

Even in boat shows for later models, I think every boat I've seen had a polished post. A rough finished post would stand out like a sore thumb. For such a centered and obvious object, you've got a real project ahead of you. Just about anything other than a finished SS surface is going to look a little amateurish. If you could sand the surface fair, a solid colour (white, black, ? ? ?) may look a bit more acceptable.

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
Some very unusual ideas:
1. Polish it then acid etch design into it. Ink the design to make it look like scrimshaw.
2. If you are a 70's throwback hippy type, wrap it in fur! At least it will be soft and warm.
3. Wrap it in wall paper in your favorite design.

A previous owner of my boat wrapped the cockpit drain tube in faux wood vinyl. Yea, it was not pretty.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
You know, if you clean up and polish your h326 compression post nicely, you could lift the table all the way up and out of the way. of course you need to drill a thru-hole on the post to fit the holding pin.

Jun 6, 2020
Hunter 326 Hasting, Westernport Bay
Thanks for the suggestions, I especially liked the pole dancing idea but I need to polish the pole first or risk doing some damage! Ken, did you polish yours and if so, how?