Hunter 326 Autopilot

Dec 8, 2017
Hunter 326 Dana Point
I'm looking at a 2004 H326 without an autopilot and basic electronics (Raymarine depth and speed and a Garmin GPS plotter). For any who have installed an autopilot on this boat, did you encounter any difficulties? What did you put in?

This is preliminary, as I haven't done my research on the different systems that are available yet...

Suggestions?

Richard

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
My friend's H326 has a Raymarine wheel autopilot. All the H326's I saw on the internet had Raymarine wheel autopilots including this Hunter 326: Hunter 326 for sale in for P.O.A.

I installed a Raymarine wheel autopilot on my Hunter 31 ($1000 in 2010), which had a similar displacement to your Hunter 326. My Hunter 386 had a Raymarine ST6001+ hydraulic linear drive and my Hunter 46 has a Raymarine ST7001 linear drive. The linear drives are quiet, designed for heavier displacement boat and cost significantly more than a wheel autopilot such as a Raymarine EV-100 p70 wheel pilot pack ($1377 on amazon), which is reportedly suitable for up to 16,000 pounds displacement, and higher cost to install.

I am happy with Raymarine products, however there are other autopilot suppliers out there. Below are links to some autopilot articles you might find interesting:

Dec 8, 2017
Hunter 326 Dana Point
My friend's H326 has a Raymarine wheel autopilot. All the H326's I saw on the internet had Raymarine wheel autopilots including this Hunter 326: Hunter 326 for sale in for P.O.A.

I am happy with Raymarine products, however there are other autopilot suppliers out there. Below are links to some autopilot articles you might find interesting:

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. I'd read the WM article and the CPT thread, but I'll take a look at the others.

Spent 90 minutes inspecting the boat today and, while it's in pretty great condition, the salon seems pretty cramped. I kept banging into things and I don't recall doing that in other boats in this size range. I may have to re-visit the other one to see if it was selective memory.

Thanks again.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I installed a Raymarine wheel autopilot on an h320, similar boat. Installed the compass in the ceiling of the stern berth. The rudder position sensor was installed under the cockpit sole which slides off once the bolts on the stern are removed.