Hunter 320

May 5, 2022
Pearson 27 West Sayville
Looking to install a hydraulic autopilot. Does anyone have any Raymarine to use or a compatible one. Have you experienced any installation problems I should know about. Thanks

May 2, 2022
Hunter 33.5 Bayfield, WI
Any reason why you're going with a hydraulic system rather than a wheel steer system? I don't know how much room you have for a ram but on my 33.5 there was none. I recently upgraded from a ST4000 autopilot to an EV-100 Wheel Evolution autopilot system. Really like the integration with the other Raymarine equipment onboard (Axiom 9, Wind, Depth, Speed, AIS and VHF).

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Looking to install a hydraulic autopilot.
Why hydraulic rather than electric? Our 1991 boat came with an electric linear drive Auothelm 7000. Still runs well and strong. Do not use it that often as a solo sailor, but does come in handy when making tack changes. More often I use the wheel brake while under way. If we were to head out into open waters, I have considered a wind vane.

Mar 16, 2015
Hunter 310 Lake Norman
Why hydraulic rather than electric? Our 1991 boat came with an electric linear drive Auothelm 7000. Still runs well and strong. Do not use it that often as a solo sailor, but does come in handy when making tack changes. More often I use the wheel brake while under way. If we were to head out into open waters, I have considered a wind vane.

Mar 16, 2015
Hunter 310 Lake Norman
I had an ST4000 on a 97 310. It handled the helm well. I considered a linear drive with a ram but couldn’t see where there was room.

Apr 24, 2023
Catalina C27 tall rig Kewaunee
I converted my Hunter 320 to EV 100. Pretty simple except for snaking the wiring over the gangway.
However... I never installed the rudder position sensor. In reflection, I should have. All indications are (RPS) would reduce the hunting around the targeted rhumb line. That whirring, would be minimized. Maybe that is why you are thinking hydraulic?

Alan K

Feb 22, 2004
Hunter 380 Norwalk, CT
I have a Raymarine rotary electric drive in my 380. It's mounted on a shelf provided by the manufacturer in the steering pedistal. It connects to the steering via sprockets and a drive chain. Very reliable!

• Helpful
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I think an electric linear drive would make more sense on a 27’ boat. You need a good mounting point and the tiller arm to mount on the rudder shaft, but other than that, the wiring and computer are pretty simple. I upgraded to a Raymarine ST6000 wheel pilot last year on my 32 foot, 10,250# displacement O’Day 322.

I can replace the wheel drive with a linear drive in the future and sill use the course computer and compass. I have a rudder sensor mounted, and the wiring for a linear drive isn’t much more difficult than wiring the rudder sensor.

And I think you will find that a hydraulic unit will cost a lot more.

They both need power to operate, so a hydraulic unit isn’t going to help conserve battery power (not sure about the power consumption between the linear drive and the hydraulic pump…).

On edit, I see you titled this Hunter 320…so maybe that is the boat you are going to add the AP to…not the Pearson 27 in your avatar. But my comments work for either boat.

Greg

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
I can replace the wheel drive with a linear drive in the future and sill use the course computer and compass.
:plus:I installed a new wheel pilot about 5 years after I got my boat. The new pilot was worse than the one it replaced. The following winter refit, I had a type 1 linear drive installed and we reused the course computer and fluxgate compass.