Hunter 310 fridge

Tim22

Jun 16, 2014
Hunter 310 Ottawa
My fridge is now over 20 years old and not as cold as it should be. Has anyone opened up the cabinet in the galley to get at the icebox/fridge. If so, is there a non destructive way to open it. I want to inspect the insulation, and maybe replace the icebox / fridge with a new drop in unit.
Thanks
Tim

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Have some maintenance done, clean the coils, check the refrigerant level and the thermostat operation. If it is making ice it should be cooling well enough. To check the insulation and perhaps add foam cut out an inspection section. Are you getting thermometer readings?

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
As @Benny17441 says and you'll be better than new.

One of my greatest problems since day one has been freezing everything in the fridge if I'm not careful. I usually run between 2-3 on the stat. If I ever cranked that thing up all the way and left the lid open, I could do away with global warming and start another ice age:yikes:.

Tim22

Jun 16, 2014
Hunter 310 Ottawa
I have cleaned the coils, replaced the fan, increased the ventilation around the compressor all to no avail. From the reading I’ve done it is not possible to check Or add refrigerant on the circa 1997 AB CU100.

Tim22

Jun 16, 2014
Hunter 310 Ottawa
Hi Ralph
where do you have your compressor? I’m thinking of moving mine from the starboard cabinet forward of the settee to under the settee as it may be cooler there.

I’m jealous of your fridge. The temperature hit 33 today and my fridge can’t cope!

thanks
tim

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I’m thinking of moving mine from the starboard cabinet forward of the settee to under the settee as it may be cooler there.
It is cooler there as the floor is the FG hull which is always quite cool.

Tim22

Jun 16, 2014
Hunter 310 Ottawa
The fridge has been marginal since I got the boat 5 years ago.

I finally gave up on the AB and installed a new Nova Kool LT 201 RT4 conversion kit. After I installed it the lines to the compressor frosted up completely. About 1/4 inch ice all the way from the 3 foot insulator at the box to the compressor. On the advice of Nova Kool tech support I let some refrigerant out and the frosting is greatly reduced. I should probably let out a bit more but I am afraid to let out to much. It is impossible to find a refrigerator person to work on a 12 v system in Ottawa. A license is required to buy R134a in Canada so not possible to add refrigerant yourself. Really annoying!!

The fridge is now cooling really well but for some reason, not all the time, the compressor starts cycling on and off very quickly - like 1 second intervals. Tracking this down is my next project so if anyone has suggestions let me know. I have asked Nova Kool tech support but haven’t heard back yet.

Tim