Hunter 310 AC BTU Size

Mar 6, 2005
Hunter 310 Lake Canyon Yacht Club, Texas
The original AC in our 310 has gone out and will be replacing the unit. Am wondering what BTU size different folks may have. Currently, it is a Marine Air System 10K BTU unit but i am concerned about replacement 10K BTU units that i found will be a little too big for the space it's installed (under the sink in the galley). I found a 9K BTU unit that would definitely fit but don't want to under size at this point.

Perhaps 1K of BTU won't make any difference. Thoughts?

Jeff

Sep 29, 2008
Hunter 33.5 Carlyle Lake in Central Illinois
I’m using a Flagship Marine 16K unit for our 1993 H335. It won’t keep up during the heat of the day but works well at night.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
A 9K A/C will be just as inadequate as a 10K so it should not make a difference in the way they are used. Neither A/C and not even a 12K will adequately cool a boat under direct sunlight in high temperatures and high humidity. Perhaps if you use a deck awning to keep the sun off the deck it will make more of a differnce than just more BTUs. Waiting until the sun weakens or set for the day before running the A/C will also yield good results. I would garvitate towards the 9K BTU as it would probably be easier to run with a portable generator at anchor. It is not so much the power of the A/C but what can be done to better insulate and lower the temperature inside the cabin to give the unit a fighting chance. Some will spray water over the deck to use the cooling effects of evaporation or install and extraction fan to clear the hotter air out.

We had a 12k A/C on an h320 and we had a water pump failure in the middle of summer during a coastal trip. Long story short we got off the boat and purchased a 6K window unit at a Walmart for Approx $110, so we could use at night to sleep. It cooled the boat fairly well as we were comfortable even without the benefit of having ducts to the stern berth as we used a small fan to help recirculate air. My point again is that more importatnt than the size of the A/C is how and when you use it and what you can do to reduce the temperature load. Two days latter we had a replacement water pump and window A/C which we started using as an auxiliary unit whenever we wanted to run A/C in the middle of the day. For around $100 we could now access 18K BTU when needed.

Mar 6, 2005
Hunter 310 Lake Canyon Yacht Club, Texas
Thanks to both replies .. I should have mentioned that the boat is on a lake in South Texas and we mostly only use the AC in the evening and at night when we spend the night.. Don't have a generator so connected to shore power anytime we use the AC. It definitely gets hot here in the summer months, not uncommon for 100 degrees days. The old unit would take a 2-3 hours in the evening to get it down to a decent temp (going from about 95 to hi-mid 70s) and as long as we keep the companion way covered. And at night could keep it at low 70s without much issue. That said, we might not attempt to spend the night if it's going to be brutal hot :)

There is an 11K BTU MarinAire unit that might just fit .. i would prefer to go a little higher than a little lower .. but as you guys mentioned, may not make much of a difference .. We will also be getting new hatch covers and better interior shades to cut down on sunlight/heat .. my bimini is fairly large so it covers the main berth, companion way, galley and head area fairly well in the evening ... will likely pull out the old unit this weekend and get some exact dimensions so i can be more certain of what will fit and what will not ..

Thanks again !!

Dec 21, 2021
Hunter 310 Lake Hartwell SC
Thanks for your response, i looked all over the enter net and really could not find any info on that. so I tried this forum,thank you...