Hunter 306 PHRF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 7, 2005
Hunter 26.5 DeGray Lake, AR
We have a Hunter 306 in our club, and there is some confusion as to the boats PHRF rating. We are presently using 180, but after last season comparisons, I really think the number should be higher (giving the boat an improved TCF). Info on what PHRF numbers for the Hunter 306 used out there would be helpful. I have searched the internet, results are all over the place. Thanks. Chaos

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
PHRF ratings are local. Look to your local or closest PHRF organization. You can go to the US Ailing web site and look under racing. You can find contact info for all PHRF organizations. Alternatively, in the PHRF section of the USS web site there are Hi, Lo and average ratings for thousands of boats.

Nov 7, 2005
Not listed

Bill, appreciate the reply, but the Hunter 306 IS NOT listed with US Sailing. So far, I have found numbers from 160 to 216.
Chaos

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
Well then your 180 is near the middle of the spread. In your area, there is an organization called Dixie Inland Yacht Racing something http://www.diyra.org/. They may for a small fee rate your boat.

When I did this for West Florida I had a database of 1100 boats to review. My key factors were wl length, draft, displacement and sail area. I could select 5 or 10 boats of similar dimensions, and look at their ratings. Then I could slot a new boat into the mini database . I also had a group who would review my analysis. DIYRA may have a similar proceedure.

Nov 7, 2005
306 phrf

Bill, thanks again for the input. The Schell regression formula works out to be 209. Of the 5 or so listings I found, most were between 200 and 216. We have been using 180; I do not know where that number came from or how it was derived. However, the 306 has been consistently out of the running after TCF. I was hoping others could give me some input as to there ratings for the 306 and how they are working out. I need ammunition before I get the whining and complaining started!!! Thanks, Chaos

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Hunter 420 Passage San Diego
I will bite. Whats a 306? Cant find a model number for it. Do you mean a 336?

Cheers

Jun 30, 2004
Hunter 340 St Andrews Bay
There was a shoal draft and a deep draft. You may be getting "PHRFed" for d. eep keel and headsail of up to 150%; and don't forget the adjustment for that three-blade fixed prop?

Nov 7, 2005
306 Phrf

Andy, Got all that. This boat is a shoal draft, with 2 blade, and a 100 jib. From the lack of general info I can find, I am going to go with the 209 rating, adjusting for the jib and prop, until I see how it works out, and how much whining I get.
Rick, Look on the boat listings at the home page here. You will see the 306 on the left column. She is a fair looking boat with good amenities.

Thanks for all the input.
Chaos

Status
Not open for further replies.