Hunter 30-2 Boat Issues

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 30T Grand Lake, OK
Hi Everyone, looking for some much needed advice. I've been looking to purchase a 89-94 Hunter 30-2 G or T model. After looking at many boats and getting survey's done on a few I am finding that most of these boats have an issue with moisture problems in the deck and rudder. Is there something about some or all of these years of boats that have this common thread? Is there something in production? general use? deck layout or fastening? I have come to the Mountain Top of Hunter owners to find out more answers. I know the boat are 25 years old and I'm not expecting to find a "New Boat" but I also want one that I can sail and enjoy without having to put $$$$ into it to move away from the dock. After reading the reviews of owners and studying the boat I know there is a big following for this boat (and lets be honest- it looks awesome) but mostly I see information about changing tanks, electronic upgrades etc.
Thanks in advance for you input.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
The common thread is that boats 25 years old will all generally have some moisture issues and require equipment upgrades. It's not a symptom unique to Hunter 30's.

Oct 30, 2011
klidescope 30t norfolk
I own a 90' bought 2005 yes needed deck gone thru and sealed up no big deal the largest expense was it needed new sails $5500 worth and now with no hour meter curious how long the old yanmar got left gonna compression test this winter and see. But these gen hunters have no structure wood all glass and stainless or aluminum no soft spots but I could see if ports that need maintaince if left neglect would cause soft spots

Jul 7, 2010
Thanks for the feedback. We went out on a 1990 30-T this weekend and it sailed well is strong winds. Whatfiero, when you say the deck needed to be gone thru do you mean that it was a major repair or just in spots? I've looked at a couple of boats with an estimate of around 9000 to repair. That sure makes me think that it would not be a good undertaking. I'm not sure of how the complete process will be done and finished to look like new. Can you tell me more about your experience of having the deck repaired. Was it done by a Hunter dealer or a boat yard?
Thanks

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I've looked at a couple of boats with an estimate of around 9000 to repair. That sure makes me think that it would not be a good undertaking.
If you could do it yourself, you'd save a lot of that $9000.00.

Oct 30, 2011
klidescope 30t norfolk
No just all hard ware needed to be resealed I used 3m 4200 maybe 2 existing leeks on at traverler and one at grab rail so I resealed everything because I figured it was time. About the wetness on deck core once sealed and no soft spots i figured they will dry out. The 30t sails fast I'm running a 180 on head and win most races

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Details, details, details.

Lady Lillie's survey at 23 years showed evidence of moisture at the mast step, and around some of the ports. We bought her, and sailed her, cruising Lake Erie through two summers. Then the mast step began deforming around the midships bulkhead, interfering with the sliding door. We had a local shop bebuild the step, replacing rotted core with aluminum and fiberglass for around $1,000.

At about 33 years, the issues with the ports resulted in small but definite leaks into the cabin. I removed the ports, rebuilt the missing core with epoxy putty, and rebedded the ports. The problem was resolved with a few hundred dollars of materials and less than 50 hours of my time.

I have found that about $1,000 per year allows us to resolve such issues, improve our boat, and keep her in good condition over the past 17 years. In that time, we have cruised around 8,000 nm, and spent over 400 nights on her. She is now 39 years old, and in better shape than when we bought her.

Our best friends have had similar results with their 1982 Hunter 30.

My advice is to keep looking. The right boat is out there. With a maintenance load you can manage. Look for a well maintained boat if the work is not for you. You'll only pay a few thousand more to have a boat you can sail and reasonably maintain.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
After 30 years, ANY boat that uses wood structurally in the construction or has penetrations through cored glass is going to have issues.

Jul 7, 2010
Can anyone tell me if anything changed in production between the G and T models other than what you see? Did anything change in how the hull or deck has made (laid up)? I have looked at several 88 and 89 G models that had quite a bit of crazing (small hair line cracks) on the deck near corners and some of the flat surfaces of the cockpit. I don't see these on the T models (a few very very faint stress marks). I have been looking online and not having any luck. Thanks for everyone's input.

Oct 30, 2011
klidescope 30t norfolk
The crazing becomes visable when not kept clean and mold adds the black lines, wax makes these surface nonexistent. Fiberglass seems to do this on hard corners but just surface cracks from expansion. The later models got square sink and 2 extra ports in front cabin. And I think another window in aft