Hunter 29.5 sailors/racers general sail trim

Twille

Oct 8, 2012
Hunter 38 Henderson, nc
I have a 29.5 I am trying to fiquire out. I have been day sailing it thus far and now it it is time to race.

While hard on the wind how close do you trim the jib. Where is the jib track set. Do you vary this and at what wind levels. I have been sailing with it just inside the life lines. Can I flatten it more and maintain boat speed and piont higher.
I picked up a set of new Schurr sails that really helps vs the old blown out 1994's but now we need advise on how to use them with the boat.

Main sail sheeting, I have been controlling the leach with the vang is this the best way?

Dec 28, 2014
Hunter 280 Mandeville, LA
Would suggest that you get a buddy who does some racing to go out with you a couple times, give you a big jump-start on learning curve.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Lots to work and look at, but here are 4 simple steps.

Upwind in moderate conditions (6-12 knots):

1) Trim both sails on so the LEACHES (last foot) of BOTH sails are parallel with the boat's centerline.

2) Car positions so all jib telltails break at the same time; starting point, sheet bisects the luff. Back as breeze goes up.

3) Mainsheet so all main telltails break at the same time. Less as breeze goes up.

4) Traveler up till top telltail flickers.... At about point #1

Biggest trim fail is not NEARLY enough mainsheet; top WAY twisted off.

Biggest drive fail is to not stay 'on the wind' by paying total attention to steering telltails.

Last edited:

Twille

Oct 8, 2012
Hunter 38 Henderson, nc
Thanks for the bullit pionts.

Was messing around with it today it light air. We were pointing much better.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Thanks for the bullit pionts.

Was messing around with it today it light air. We were pointing much better.
Good deal. Pointing ability REALLY separates the men from the boys when it come to racing. Until you start racing, you don't know how bad you actually are at it.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Gloucester, VA
I pull my jib in tight. the sheet car usually stays close to the front end of the track. With the extremely short traveler on the 29.5 I use the vang to control the Main