Hunter 29.5 / 1996 - Bilge water flood

Apr 15, 2019
Hunter 295 Chevroux
Hello everyone,
Firstly I apologize for the English.
here is my problem, water is arriving at the bottom of the bilge through the drain plugs. Does anyone know if these plugs are connected to a thru-hull?
If so, does anyone know which side?
This is not due to rain.
I think the drain plugs are for draining water in case of internal flooding, right?
Thank you so much

Attachments

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I am a bit confused..

Is the boat in the water? Salt or fresh?

The photo shows some bolts with no nuts on them (or at least that is what it looks like). Is the keel bolted to the boat?

Are you referring to the 2 holes seen in the photo as the “drain holes”?

For now, I would say that there is no “drain” for removing water in the bilge. The bilge pump is used to get rid of water.

I suppose someone could have installed some sort of garboard plug, but they don’t look like that to me.

Also, is there a false bilge in this boat? It looks like it might be…

Greg

Apr 15, 2019
Hunter 295 Chevroux
Thank you for your feedback, the holes did indeed include garboard plugs. So I think it's to drain the water through the hull but without certainty. The boat is in fresh water

Apr 15, 2019
Hunter 295 Chevroux
Boat is floatting, I removed the plugs but will replace soon. If the water does not drain through a thru-hull when on the hard, do you know where?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Must be a false bilge. If those were traditional garboard holes with the boat in the water things would be more, ummm, exciting by now. Being a false bilge would also explain the lack of visible nuts on the keel bolts.

I wonder if @Crazy Dave Condon knows whether a false bilge was standard for that model or if it was some previous owner’s idea. If it was standard he might know if and how the true bilge was meant to dry. If it’s a previous owner’s idea then it’s anyone’s guess.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
You are having problems with English boat vocabulary. A through-hull fitting is a seacock that allows water from a sink, or head to drain overboard through a hose. (une passe-coque) Bilge pumps normally pump water out of the bilge and then over the side ABOVE the waterline, so no through-hull is needed. A garboard plug (bouchon de vidange) is a plug that screws into an opening in the bottom of a boat to drain the bilge when the boat is out of the water. Larger boats don't usually have them, though they can. Limber holes (des nables) through the floors of a boat allow water that is in the bilge to flow to the deepest part, where the bilge pump should be. You do not want to keep limber holes plugged because then water will stay in the ends of the boat and start to grow things. Plugging limber holes briefly to see if water builds up can help you determine if you have a leaks forward or aft, which can be helpful.
If you are in/near Chevroux, France, salty water is not likely. People ask if the water is salty in an effort to determine if there is a leak in the hull that is letting ocean water in. If you are floating in a lake or river and the water is fresh you can't tell if the water is coming from a leak in the hull below the waterline or from above. Decks, ports, stanchion bases, and hatches can all leak, as well as keelbolts and through-hulls. If it's not rainwater it may also be coming from a leaking water tank - yours holds (or perhaps held) 151 litres. Bon vent!

• Helpful