Hunter 28 on the Great Lakes?

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
I've been debating moving up from my trailer sailer for about 25 years now. At 58 years old I'm thinking sooner might be better than later. We are seeking to secure a dock in Tawas Bay (Lake Huron).

We've looked at boats online (me obsessively, my wife occasionally). I tend to be drawn to older, "traditional" boats. There is a Vineyard Vixen and a Bombay Cutter for sale in Michigan right now that turn my head. My wife is in love with the Hunter 28. I've read all the reviews in the owner review section - but I have some questions.

Once you leave Tawas Bay, it's 100 miles to Port Huron without a lot of harbors or marinas in the middle. Going north it's 130 miles to Cheybogan, with several harbors along the path. How capable this boat is to handle the western shore of Lake Huron? At 7,000 lbs displacement and 3,000 lbs ballast it's not an insubstantial boat - I'm not sure what's giving me pause. It could be that it looks a lot like her trailer-sailer little sisters. As much as I love the 240, I'm not sure I'd make the 100 mile trip on one.

Another question about the H28.
We had a Hunter 170 - which I loved, my wife didn't love how "tippy" it was. By contrast the fixed keel Capri 18 makes her feel more comfortable. How "tippy" is the 28? (I guess I'd define "tippy" as how much it heels and how quickly it heels). Again the ballast and the displacement make me think it's going to stay on it's feel pretty well, but that high freeboard and the rounded hull remind me of my beloved 170.

I'm interested to hear your opinions,
Thanks in advance,

John