Hunter 28.5? good or bad

• Thread starter robert gallagher
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

robert gallagher

My 1st mate and I currently sail a 1981 Cat22 swing keel in a Texas lake. We decideded to super-size and have been looking at all of our options for the past 6 months. The money will be right by August, we are starting to consider a boat size and we will be putting our boat up for sale. We saw a Hunter 28.5 and thought this might fit the bill. I wanted to ask on this site for opinions / thoughts / reviews from other boat owners. This, I hope, will shed some light on some issues for us to consider (if there are any). Our plan is to get comfortable with a boat this size before going for something to take us to the coast, to Florida, and the Keys (10 year plan). Thanks for any insight. RObert

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Go to the top of this page, Boat Info

and go to Owner's Reviews

Shippy

Jun 1, 2004
Hunter 356 Harve de Grace
Hunter 29.5

Robert - Like Stu said, you can get a wealth of information from the owner reviews. We had a similiar path/plan. We started chartering a 22 Capri for a year, then made the plunge for our current h29.5. I had looked at the 28.5 and very similiar boat. Our plan is to keep her for 5-8 years (three years have already gone by) and move up to something in the 35-36 size. Eventually move onto the 41 foot size for our retirement. We like the 29.5 for the Chesapeake. The 4 ft draft works well in this area and when it is the admiral and I (plus dog) we have spend a week at a time on the hook cruising around.

W

Waffle

Get the Hunter 28

Much newer and nicer boat that doesn't cost much more. The 28.5 are too old to consider for purchase in my eyes.

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
I personally think

That the Hunter 28.5 is one of the best kept secrets in the used boat market. I have a 1986 model and love it. As indicated, there are over 50 owner reviews of this model boat on this site. I don't think you'll find many who don't like the boat. And here is a short list of likes/dislikes I recently sent to the H28.5 website: What I like best about my Hunter 28.5: - Good looks - Great sailing performance - Easy to single hand - Low purchase price (very competitive on east coast) - Fairly easy to maintain - A very reliable Yanmar diesel - Big enough for small family cruising - "Just enough" boat What I like least about my Hunter 28.5: - Iron keel (although not a big deal) - Foss Foam rudder - Somewhat tender (also not a biggie) - Expected low resale value - No suitable drain under engine for stuffing box - Salon table takes up too much cabin space - Difficult to access upper rear of engine

May 25, 2004
Oday 25 Tampa Bay
draft

I don't know what the draft is on the 28.5 but if Florida is on the horizon it should be a big deciding factor. The closer to 4 feet the better. I looked at a couple of 28.5's a few years ago but I couldn't find one in very good condition so I passed on the model. I agree with the previous posts, a lot of bang for the buck. Good luck, Jack

C

Cap'n Ron

Graduation to the final cruser

Robert, Sounds like your head is on right. Owners review are a good idea, talking to owners, surveyors, and even boatbrokers, but on all forums there are folks that "live" there and answer all questions wherther they are qualified or not so take em with a grain of salt. Owning a Hunter qualifies one to answer this question but not all... A gradual increase of a yachts size is a tried and true method of getting your plan together to cruise. A Hunter is not a curising vessel for many reasons, but have they? Yes. They sail well, are eye-pleasers, comfortable, and roomy too. If in a bay or a close coatsal cruise it woul do fine, but if you want to get 'use' to your ultimate cruiser (a full keel yacht turns slower, and fetches differntly than a 'cocktail' yacht) why not look for one now?

M

Mike

We love ours

We got our 86 model 28.5 earlier this year and I love it. It is my first boat in about 10 years. My only other boat was a 14' Hobie Cat. The Hunter can be had for a great value. I like the wheel steering and inboard deisel. I mainly sail in Glveston Bay and may one day try a little near coast sailing adventure. This thing accomidates my family of 5. It has been a bit of work and I still need to fix the pressurized water system. The pump works but it has some leaks. If you can get one for around 10k I say go for it! You can see my web page here http://www.compassnet.com/mfeidler/splashpad.htm

Jan 2, 2005
Hunter 35.5 Legend Lake Travis-Austin,TX
Had an '87model...

and think it was one of the best boats Hunter ever built! Sold it and bought a 35.5 and almost wish I'd kept/moved the 28.5 instead. Absolute dream to singlehand, faster than most Catalina 30's with more useable space, feel of a 30ft.+ boat, beautiful lines, sails 6 feeds 4 and sleeps 2 better than any boat in it's class!!! I'd buy mine back and upgrade it in a minute. Oh yeah, I went 23.5, 28.5 and now 35.5...very natural progression. If you are on Cedar Creek Reservoir, this would be a GREAT boat. Ours was on Lake Travis.

Feb 22, 2004
- - Racine, WI
We've had ours for 14 years!

I'll echo what Warren said in reply #4 above. we've had our for 14 years on Lake Michigan. We've cruised for as long as 3 weeks covering 400 miles which included crossing the lake (80 miles) twice, have gotten into some fairly heavy weather and she has taken great care of us. The 18hp Yanmar runs like a dream. We have the 4' (iron) keel. A little rust now and then but keep it painted and you'll be fine. She single-hands very easily, looks great and is easy to maintain. You could do a LOT worse and not much better! There's also a great website I've added below.

Status
Not open for further replies.