Hunter 27 Rigging Tuning

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jim Clark

I have purchased a 27 footer and had the mast down to inspect the rigging at the end of the last season. The boat did not come with any manuals (it is a 1977 model). Could anyone advise me of the proper way to tune the standing rigging? The marina did put the mast back up, but does not tune rigging.

T

Tom M.

tuning the rig

First You have to borrow or buy a rigging tension gage, for the size wire on your standing rig, then remove all the wire rings from you open turnbuckles, locate a small plastic jug with a handle so that you can secure the main halyard to it, make sure the jug is filled, so to ack as your plumb bob, now adjust the head or back stay to achieve the desired rake, which is about 8", the main hal, s/b aft of your mast, then adjust your upper shrouds, so that the main hal, is on the same center as your main mast track, then adj. your dbl lowers, the gage will tell you just how tight each wire should be. good luck.

K

Keith McC

Check CW article

Jim, Check the Feb. issue of Cruising World; there is a good article on tuning the rig. If you can't get a copy of the magazine, email me (tsiklm@home.com) and I'll copy and snail mail it to you. Cheers, Keith BTW, I have the same year and model boat and am looking for a boom. If you happen to hear of one, please let me know. Thanks.....

Status
Not open for further replies.